Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN, INVERLEITH ROW, HEAD GARDENER'S COTTAGE AT EAST GATELB49215

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
04/06/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24931 75293
Coordinates
324931, 675293

Description

Circa 1840. 2-storey, cruciform-plan cottage with central advanced gables to N and S, porch with pointed-arch doorway to N, deep blocked eaves, and corniced octagonal stacks. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar to porch and window dressings. Base course. Long and short undressed quoins. Raised, chamfered window margins; stone canopies to first floor windows under gables; hoodmoulds to ground floor gable windows. Irregularly fenestrated.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced central gabled porch; later 2-leaf timber boarded door in stop-chamfered pointed-arch opening; stone-mullioned bipartite window above with small canopy. Narrow windows at ground flanking porch.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: tripartite mullioned window at ground to centre; bipartite mullioned window above; canopied window at ground to right of gable; bipartite window above; non-traditional timber boarded back door to outer right.

E AND W (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: tripartite window at ground to E; bipartite window above; modern sliding door to W; canopied window above.

Non-traditional uPVC windows. Corniced octagonal stacks rising from square bases. Large graded grey slates

INTERIOR: not seen 2003, but the Facilities Manager said that all the original doors and fireplaces had been removed.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped, snecked rubble boundary wall to E.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Inverleith House, 1858 Palm House and 1834 Palm Stove, Linnaeus Monument, 1967 Greenhouse, Caledonian Hall, East and West Gates, and the Laboratory and Lecture Hall Buildings at 20a Inverleith Row. The Royal Botanic Garden is included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes In Scotland, Site Number 216. Despite the plastic windows and messy re-pointing this is a delightful picturesque cottage, and occupies a prominent position behind the East Gate. When this cottage was built this part of the garden belonged to the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society, which was quite separate from the Royal Botanic Garden. At that time the Botanic garden occupied only the NE corner of its present site, and the West half of the garden belonged to Inverleith House. It is unknown what this house was originally used for, but it is likely that it has always been a gardener's house. The style is similar to that of the Caledonian Hall, which was designed by David Cousin, and it is likely that this house was also by him.

The East Gate is listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Clearly shown on Johnston's Plan Of Edinburgh And Leith, 1851.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN, INVERLEITH ROW, HEAD GARDENER'S COTTAGE AT EAST GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/08/2022 04:34