Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7, THE WARD, STRATHAVENLB49197

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
12/05/2003
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Avondale
NGR
NS 70288 44656
Coordinates
270288, 644656

Description

Circa 1870. Single storey, 5-bay beaming shop (see Notes). Door to centre L flanked by 2 blocked window openings; door to centre R with inscribed lintel (see Notes) plus further blocked window opening to outer R. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone rubble with raised cills; droved margins. Roughcast to rear with 2 doors to centre; blocked windows opening to L and R.

Re-roofed with asbestos cement tiles to imitate original slates; corniced ashlar end stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen (2003).

Statement of Special Interest

Listed for historical significance in relation to Strathaven?s weaving history. Strathaven was a small but important weaving centre during the 18th and 19th centuries. Wool, linen and cotton cloths were produced in the village. Most of the handloom weavers operated in converted dwelling houses, the family living upstairs or across a close that divided the property. Located close to the centre of the village, near the greens, the lintel of this building is painted with the inscription: 'THE STRATHAVEN WEAVERS BEAMING SOCIETY LIMITED?. A Strathaven Heritage Trail plaque is to the left of this.

This possibly purpose-built cottage is said around 1870 to have replaced an earlier beaming shop in Chapel Road (Downie p189). Beaming machines, introduced in the 1840s, changed the method of production for the weavers. 'The beam was fitted into a framework and the warp was wound on to the beam, the warp being kept in tension by a system of pulleys and spaced out by a framework of pegs? (Downie p189). Weavers would bring yarn and beams to the beaming shop to have the beams made ready for their looms.

Although large industrialised textile mills were in operation from the late 18th century, handloom weaving continued into the 20th century in Strathaven, albeit in decline. In 1835 there were 800 weavers and by 1900 there were 150. The 1930s was the last decade of weaving in Strathaven and in 1937 'James Kirkland was the only weaver at his loom and he ceased work in 1938. His loom was in the old beaming shop in the Ward.

'At that time he was 78 years of age, having started weaving at the age of nine.' (Downie p192).

References

Bibliography

First marked on 2nd edition OS map of 1896. William Fleming Downie A HISTORY OF STRATHAVEN AND AVONDALE (1979).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7, THE WARD, STRATHAVEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2021 12:08