Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLEBE ROAD (EAST SIDE), GALSTON PRIMARY SCHOOL INFANT BLOCK, INCLUDING GATES, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS & RAILINGSLB49189

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/04/2003
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Galston
NGR
NS 50074 36436
Coordinates
250074, 636436

Description

William Railton, circa 1875. Single storey and attic irregular-plan primary school with Renaissance revival detailing. Principal gabled elevation to Glebe Road; internal 3-sided courtyard. Bull-faced squared and snecked red sandstone with polished dressings. Long and short quoins; architraved openings with long and short dressings; eaves cornice.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near symmetrical; 4 windows to recessed central bay; gabled bays to L and R with pair of windows to centre of each, broken segmental pediment above; flagpole rising through apex of gablehead to R; balustraded parapet to wallheads flanking L gable; windows to inside returns.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay with tall tripartite segmental-arched window flanked by single segmental-arched windows; 3 bays to R, 2 to L with outer gabled bay with tripartite window.

NW ELEVATION: 2 gabled bays with recessed courtyard bay between with regular fenestration; gable to L with tripartite and blocked oculus above; R gable with 2 architraved windows and keyblocked oculus above; further 3 bays to outer R.

SW ELEVATION: advanced asymmetrical bay with pedimented entrance to L, central single window with slit above; 2 bays recessed to R. Advanced gabled bay to outer R; bipartite within segmental-arched hoodmould; 3 windows and gabled bay with segmental-arched door to inside return.

Timber sash and case windows (small-pane upper, 2-pane lower

sashes). Grey-green slate roofs with terracotta ridge tiles; fish-scale slates to gables at SE. Coped stone skews with tall blocked skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods with large top hoppers.

INTERIOR: not seen (2003).

GATES, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: square-plan ashlar gatepiers with corniced necks and spherical caps; low snecked rubble wall with copes and railings over enclosing playground to street. Coped rubble wall enclosing playground to side and rear. Wrought-iron railings and gates in Art Nouveau/Arts and Crafts manner with fluid foliate elements and square panels pierced with small squares and hearts (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

This is a well-detailed primary school in a prominent position opposite the main primary school (separately listed). The main school, which is larger, was built in 1909 as the local High School until Loudon Academy was built. Both buildings are in distinctive red sandstone bounded by red sandstone walls and good railings. The ironwork is similar for both buildings and has elements of the Glasgow style of Art Nouveau. It is likely that the ironwork is all of the 1909 date, a device used to unify the two buildings.

References

Bibliography

Marked on second edition OS map of 1895. Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992) p129.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLEBE ROAD (EAST SIDE), GALSTON PRIMARY SCHOOL INFANT BLOCK, INCLUDING GATES, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS & RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 04:33