Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

OXENFOORD POLICIES, WALLED GARDEN AND GARDENER'S HOUSELB49105

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/02/2003
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Cranston
NGR
NT 38666 65544
Coordinates
338666, 665544

Description

Late 18th to early 19th century; remodelled by Mr Gardiner, 1842. Nearly-square plan, walled kitchen garden with curved and canted angles; remnants of inner walled fruit garden and frameyard with ranges of lean-to glasshouses and backsheds. To SE corner, single storey, single-storey, 3-bay gardener's cottage with additional advanced gabled bays to flanks; range of buildings to rear adjoining garden wall. Some later lean-to glass houses. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to house, range and lean-tos; random rubble with flat copes to E garden wall with moulded dressed ashlar door surround to NE and cart arch to N; inner walls of other elevations and dividing inner walls red brick.

WALLED GARDEN: fairly plain walls to almost square outer perimeter (Gardener's House and entrance to SE angle), shrub boundary to S. Random sandstone rubble to exterior with brick inner walls (formerly heated); flat ashlar copes to all. Small entrance door in NE wall with tabbed quoins and droved margins; larger cart arch to centre of N wall adjacent to former stove. Arched NW corner wall following contours of natural slope, meeting inner wall. S exterior boundary formed by shrubs and trees with high inner wall visible across (now grassed and planted) yard. SE area shaped around gardener's house and private garden. Gatepier surviving at now main entrance from drive, leading to partially disused and demolished range to E of E wall.

INTERIOR WALLS (FORMER FRUIT GARDEN): high brick wall running W to E (separating approximately 1/3 of the garden to the N - for forcing frames) open at E for admission of carts, with central door and further door to W; formerly a pair of long glasshouse ranges flanked door on S side with to N side a single storey, rubble range of backsheds and further glasshouses (for late/ hardy varieties). U-plan walls with canted angles to SW and SE adjoining main E-W wall to outer flanks of glasshouses (E wall now missing). To S elevation of high S wall, pair of later glasshouse ranges flanking wide central entrance to fruit garden.

GARDENER'S HOUSE:

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre, original single storey, 3-bay cottage with central entrance door and windows to flanks, high walls extend above gable roofline and meet stepped apex stacks (left wall extended to meet rear of newer left bay, see below). Projecting gabled outer bays (circa 1842) adjoining cottage, with 3-side canted bays windows, heavy base course and moulded parapet, skew gabled with kneeler putts to right bay.

N ELEVATION: single storey range to left and centre formerly containing 4 segmental-headed cart arches, the 2nd in-filled with timber and large timber door, the right two now converted into modern windows; blind side wall of projecting bay to right with single window to left. Left return built against former heated garden wall with arched pend through to single storey range (see below).

S (REAR) ELEVATION: rear of original single storey cottage with window to right bay and projecting single storey, painted brick, extension to centre bay with crow-stepped gable. Rear of high N range adjoining to right with lower brick lean-tos adjoining.

W ELEVATION: to left, advanced blind wall of projecting bay rising into central gable, blind to right return; to centre, gabled end of original cottage with stepped gablehead chimney; side of painted brick rear extension to right.

SINGLE STOREY RANGE: single storey range divided into 3 sections with E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION comprising: to left, 2-bay section with corrugated roof, boarded timber door to left with through passage to right leading into garden. To centre, 3-bay section with entrance door off centre right, windows irregularly flanking; high wall rises from right end wall, breaking roof and supporting stacks. To right, former 3-bay bothy, entrance door now in-filled but flanking windows remaining. Left return adjoining gardener's house; right return forming part of garden wall and W (rear) elevation of wall facing into garden (former frameyard) with much later lean-tos adjoining.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to principal elevation of cottage; 2 and 4-pane glazing to outer bays (upper sashes horned). Multi-paned glass (some overlapped) to glasshouses and backsheds Pitched grey slate roof with lead ridging, flashing and valleys to gardener's house. Some corrugated-iron sheeting to range roofs. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods to most. Square ashlar gablehead stacks with on stepped bases to older cottage with ashlar neck copes and tall single cans; plain stacks to projecting bows with paired or single cans. Stepped stacks to SE heated wall, lower stacks to other walls formerly linked to boilers and stoves for heated walls.

INTERIORS: walled garden currently in use as a plant nursery with the interior wall lean-to stores and remaining glasshouses still in use; gardener's house in use as such; single storey range now used for accommodation and store.

Statement of Special Interest

This is the original "kitchen" garden for the Oxenfoord Estate and would have, along with the home farm served Oxenfoord Castle. It is not known when the garden was first built, but it did undergo remodelling in the 1840s. The Gardener's Magazine of 1842 reported that the kitchen garden was "undergoing a thorough reform by Mr Gardiner, a master in his art". The 1st edition OS map shows the inner walled enclosure as containing an orchard. It also had a large number of glasshouses and conservatories. The original gardener's accommodation was the 3-bay central cottage of the current house. It was small and quite comfortable but as the estate carried out improvements, the garden and this house were also extended. A pair of advanced bays were added to the cottage to provided grander accommodation and the head gardener would have lived here. A range of buildings are found adjacent to the rear of the cottage and provided lesser accommodation for the garden staff (a bothy), as well as a laundry and stores. A bell is provided on the wall above the garden door; this would have been rung by the head gardener to signify the start of the day for the workforce, meal breaks and finishing time. The frameyard was originally in this corner too, along with a pair of glasshouse ranges on the S elevation of the wall of the inner fruit garden (which was arranged in quarters). Towards the N of the garden, there is another inner wall, again with glasshouses but the N elevation contains backsheds (which would have included a potting shed, office, mess room, a packing and storage area, a fruit room and possibly a mushroom house). The external N wall admitted carts (for manure and for the movements of produce) and once contained a boiler house for a heated range and heated wall, the chimney of which can still be seen. The other walls of the garden were heated too, as stacks can be seen, as well as ventilation flues in the brick walls above the glasshouses. A woodland garden, slip garden and pinetum surround the garden and to the E (near the old church) is a small square piece of ground known as 'Lady Marjorie's garden' which is now disused. The kitchen garden is currently in use as a plant nursery.

References

Bibliography

1st and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS (circa 1857 and 1896) showing development of the garden. Hon Hew H Dalrymple, AN ACCOUNT OF OXENFOORDE CASTLE (1901) various references. Rev Dickson, CRANSTON (1907) p134. Susan Campbell, CHARLESTON KEDDING, A HISTORY OF KITCHEN GARDENING (1996) various pages for garden development and building usage. Garden and Designed Landscape Inventory, OXENFOORD CASTLE (circa 1985) pp180-185. Additional information courtesy of the Jeffery Family.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OXENFOORD POLICIES, WALLED GARDEN AND GARDENER'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 14:42