Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

OXENFOORD POLICIES, FORMER CRANSTOUN CHURCHYARD INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, URNS, GATES AND MONUMENTSLB49104

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/02/2003
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Cranston
NGR
NT 38741 65609
Coordinates
338741, 665609

Description

18th century, with late 18th century gatepiers and gates re-sited late 19th / early 20th century. Burial ground with contemporary and later tombstones bounded to N and E by later wall. Coursed and random rubble walls with dressed ashlar gatepiers and droved ashlar quoins. Pair of wrought-iron gates. Many tombstones of differing dates and styles.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION, GATEPIERS AND GATES: later high coursed rubble wall running W to E. Pair of tall square ashlar gatepiers to centre with tabbed quoins, plinthed bases, central pilaster details to main elevation and corniced caps supporting large classically decorated urns. Pair of decorative wrought-iron arch-topped pedestrian gates: 5 rows of oviform motifs with scrolled in-fill and arrowhead dividers; scrolled overthrow supporting oviform containing S (for the House of Stair) with a coronet surmounting, a central vertical arrow pierces the overthrow.

E ELEVATION: partial dry stone wall following line of hillock.

MONUMENTS: many shaped and carved tomb and tablestone memorials, including: round top stone with shoulders for John Hunter (died 1790) and his wife Alison Waddell (died 1804); a pair of Celtic crosses, one for Major General W.V. Brownlow; a rusticated stone cross with brass plaques and a plainer cross; smaller early stones now unreadable; a round top stone dedicated to the memory of George Ogilvie, son of George Ogilvie Esq of Prestonhall; a monumental stone cairn dedicated to (amongst others) Susan, Lady Menzies; a modern marble stone to Jean Rankin, daughter of the 12th Earl of Stair and towards the back of the plot some fallen aged stones carved with borders and winged sculls.

Statement of Special Interest

This is the site of the original Cranstoun Church, which served the now lost village of Cranstoun. In 1791, Cranstoun had a population of 187. It stood on the left bank of the Tyne Water, a short distance north of the "iron bridge" and near the old mansion house of Chesterhall. The exact site is included in an area of Oxenfoord Castle's policies known as the Cow Park. The original church (sited adjacent to the walled kitchen garden of the castle and Lady Marjorie's Garden) was a plain building with no architectural adornments inside or outside. It had galleries to the front and on the right and left of the pulpit. A fire (caused by an overheated stove) destroyed it sometime between 1780 and 1791. The remains were pulled down, but some say part of the vestry was latterly used as an implement shed by the gardener. A new church was erected by the heritors in 1798 and was similar in design to its predecessors. The seats in the galleries were allocated to the heritors and their dependants. The other parishioners used the main body of the church. In 1812, John Hamilton Dalrymple (the 5th Baronet of Cousland and 8th Earl of Stair) applied to and obtained, from the Lords of the Court of Session, permission to change the site of the parish church (listed separately) to where it is today. The manse, sited near Prestonhall, was also moved. The churchyard remained as a family burial ground for the Dalrymples and the House of Stair. It also contains many aged carved tombstones relating to the former parishioners of Cranstoun and a memorial to the head teachers of the school that was housed in the castle. Also buried here are the Macgills who formerly owned the lands of Cranstoun-Riddel. The gatepiers to the burial ground were formerly the entrance gates to Cranstoun House or Castle, which used to be the residence of the Dalrymples of Cousland. They remained for many years beside the "Blue House" which was originally the lodge to Cranstoun Castle. When it was demolished, the gates and piers were re-sited by the 10th Earl of Stair as a formal entrance to the burial ground and overlooking Lady Marjorie's flower and rose garden. There was also a sundial in the burial ground (the later stone shaft is still in situ) and a stone font from the church still survives.

References

Bibliography

J. Bleau, LOTHIAN AND LINLITHQVO (1654) and John Adair, A MAP OF THE LOTHIANS (1735) for older village. Andrew and Mostyn Armstrong, MAP OF THE 3 LOTHIANS (1773) for Oxford Hall. William Johnston, GELLATLY'S NEW MAP OF THE 12 MILES ROUND EDINBURGH (1834) for Oxenfoord Castle. 1st and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS showing improved estate and now disused church site. Hon Hew Dalrymple, AN ACCOUNT OF OXENFOORD CASTLE (1901). Rev J Dickson, CRANSTOUN: A PARISH HISTORY (1907) pp 132-136. J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN (1995) pp 105-106.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OXENFOORD POLICIES, FORMER CRANSTOUN CHURCHYARD INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, URNS, GATES AND MONUMENTS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 14:39