Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NN 85619 49091
285619, 749091


Dated 1877; converted 1989, and 1999 by GAIA Architect of Aberfeldy. Gothic-detailed church with octagonal spire; 4-bay aisless nave; 3-stage tower and hall. Squared chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting sandstone ashlar dressings. Base and string courses. Hoodmoulds, raked cills and stone mullions; chamfered reveals to hall.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad gabled bay to left with 3 bipartite windows to 1st stage and large hoodmoulded raised-centre tripartite above, glazed trefoil in cross-finialled gablehead. Tower (see below) in bay to right and low gabled hall set-back to outer right with square-headed windows, narrow window to left and taller bipartite to centre under pointed-arch stone detail.

TOWER: engaged 1st stage with hoodmoulded, stop-chamfered doorway with modern door and plate glass fanlight to S, foundation stone (see Notes) close to ground at left, string course above giving way to 2nd stage with narrow light to S and E; reduced 3rd stage with tall hoodmoulded timber-louvered opening to each face, and splayed angles. Spire above with gabletted niche (probably former clock housing) to S, and decorative cast-iron weathervane.

W ELEVATION: 4 tall lancets grouped toward left, and 3 modern rooflights.

E (HALL) ELEVATION: broad gabled bay to right.

Leaded diamond-pattern glazing to narrow window at S; sympathetic replacement timber-framed glazing elsewhere. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. The foundation stone is inscribed as follows, "This stone was laid by the Hon Arthur Kinnaird MP and The Revd John Kennedy DD 28th August 1877". Rev Kennedy, born in Aberfeldy, was the so-called non-conformist Bishop of Stepney, London. In 1988 the church was sold to the community for ?1 with the condition that it not be used for commercial gain. The initial conversion took place in 1989, with further work carried out in 1999 aided by Lottery funding. Now (2001) the converted spaces house the Perthshire Tourist Board, Perth College Adult Learning Centre and Locus Breadalbane Ltd.



N D Mackay ABERFELDY PAST & PRESENT (1954), p25.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THE SQUARE (OFF), FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 10:41