Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

17, 19, 21, 21A AND POST OFFICE, DUNKELD STREETLB48847

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/08/2002
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Aberfeldy
NGR
NN 85704 49147
Coordinates
285704, 749147

Description

1897. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay (above ground) pair of gabled tenements with Post Office and shops at ground. Squared chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings. Some round-headed windows. Hoodmoulds; stone mullions and decorative bargeboarding.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bays to left of centre with pend door to outer right, and 5 narrow lights with flanking doors (all doors panelled timber with plate glass fanlights) to left, all under deep banded fascia with 2 suspended 'POST OFFICE' signs and modern 'SPAR' sign. 2 bipartite windows at 1st floor with decorative guttering giving way to 2 round-headed windows breaking eaves into dormerheads. Bays to right of centre as above but with 2 modern shops at ground and square-headed dormer windows.

SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to left at ground and attic, and further window to right at 1st floor.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; round-headed windows with decoratively-astragalled upper sashes. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves with decorative bargeboarding. Cast-iron downpipes, some barley twist and square section, with decorative fixings and rainwater hoppers, and decorative gutter fixings. Decorative cast-iron finials.

Statement of Special Interest

The Post Office moved from Home Street to Dunkeld Street in 1897, it was opened by Sir Robert Menzies in March of that year. The first uniformed postman, Mr MacGregor, appeared in Aberfeldy in 1883.

References

Bibliography

N D Mackay ABERFELDY PAST & PRESENT (1954).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17, 19, 21, 21A AND POST OFFICE, DUNKELD STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/02/2020 03:42