Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CULROSS, 7 MID CAUSEWAY, BISHOP LEIGHTON'S HOUSELB48815

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98660 85915
Coordinates
298660, 685915

Description

Early 17th century. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay house; 1? storey, 2-bay section to SW. Harled; chamfered stone surrounds.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door off centre to right; flanking window to right. Small inset section to right of door; National Trust of Scotland (NTS) plaque. Window to left of door; window (former door) to far left. 4 1st floor windows aligned above ground floor windows and door. Small window between 2nd and 3rd bay. 2nd bay window within partly jettied section. 1? storey section to right; 2 ground floor windows (former door to left); central upper floor window hugging eaves (blocked). Threshold step forms bridge over street drain.

E ELEVATION: attached to 5 Mid Causeway

S ELEVATION: central door; stone niche above door. Flanking single ground floor windows. 3 1st floor windows hugging eaves. Window to 1? storey section to left; smaller window to right.

W ELEVATION: 2 attic windows. Lower wing attached to 9 Mid Causeway.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded doors (studded to front door). Pitched roof; crowstepped gable to W. Clay pantiles. Corniced W gable apex stack; 2 corniced ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: modern interior. Stairs opposite entrance door; moulded stone steps.

Statement of Special Interest

7 Mid Causeway and the adjacent No 5 have been reconstructed out of 3 houses although originally they may have been a single dwelling. Archbishop Leighton is said to have stayed here during the time that he was Bishop of Dunblane, 1661-1669. The moulded stone steps appear to be a Culross feature and can also be found at The Nunnery and 7 The Cross. A bulge remains at the top of the steps; perhaps the remains of former stairs which led up to an extra storey. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p83; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, pp49, 153; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p29; The National Trust for Scotland, CULROSS, 1999, p24; additional information courtesy of the occupant.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, 7 MID CAUSEWAY, BISHOP LEIGHTON'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/08/2019 23:14