Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MAR LODGE ESTATE, MAR LODGE INCLUDING GARDEN WALLLB48775

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Crathie And Braemar
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 9640 89932
Coordinates
309640, 789932

Description

A Marshall MacKenzie, 1895-1898. Large 2-storey idiosyncratic Tudor/Highland style multi-gabled hunting mansion. 5-bay central section with wings at near right angles forming splayed U-plan. Large single storey service court to N (rear). Coursed rock faced Aberdeen-bonded granite. Steeply pitched gables with mock-Tudor half-timbering and decorative bargeboards; overhanging eaves between gables. Base course and string course. Central 2-leaf panelled door with decorative timber rustic porch. Several bay windows to ground floor.

Variety of timber sash and case windows with multi-paned upper sashes, some mullioned, some with stone mullions and transoms. Mullions and transoms to first floor. Rosemary Tile roof. Variety of distinctive tall wallhead and ridge stacks, some with chevron detail; multiple chimney cans.

INTERIOR: central section gutted by fire in 1991, reconstructed using old photographs, to the appearance of the late 19th, early 20th century lodge with ornate decorative plasterwork and extensive timber panelling. Several ornately carved doorpieces including pedimented doors to main lobby. Large and decorative chimneypieces to principal rooms.

GARDEN WALL: Coped granite rubble wall running E from main Lodge; single square head opening. Archaeological investigations suggest this is the last surviving standing structure of the 18th century Dalmore/Mar Lodge complex.

Statement of Special Interest

Mar Lodge is a highly distinctive and unusual work by Marshall Mackenzie, employing a mock-Tudor style which is unique in the parish. The splayed U-plan form of the building is also unusual in the region. The Lodge is the dominant building in the area and is highly visible from along the Linn of Dee Road, as well as the surrounding countryside. This large and imposing Lodge is the third building to be named Mar Lodge. The first was just to the east of the current lodge and was originally known as Dalmore House. This house was damaged in the 'Muckle Spate' of 1829, leading to the creation of the second lodge at Corriemulzie. This 'New Mar Lodge' was destroyed by fire in 1895 and resulted in the building of a third Lodge (near to the old lodge which was then demolished). Built for the Duke and Duchess of Fife (Queen Victoria's granddaughter, Louisa the Princess Royal) as their autumn residence, the Lodge saw visits from many members of the royal family, including the Queen herself, who laid the foundation stone in October 1895, as well as politicians, including Mr Gladstone, who were in attendance to the Queen at Balmoral. As such Mar Lodge is an important example of the wealth and patronage brought to Upper Deeside by the Royal family, and is at the centre of one of the best preserved Victorian hunting estates in the UK.

Alexander Marshall Mackenzie was an architect of national repute. A member of a major architectural dynasty, he began his career in the office of David Bryce. Although the majority of his work was undertaken in northern Scotland - among many other projects he was responsible for the rebuilding of Marischal College, Aberdeen - Royal patronage demonstrated his ability and fame; he was responsible for the design of Crathie Kirk in 1893 and was subsequently chosen by the Duke and Duchess of Fife for the new Mar Lodge.

Formerly a rustic verandah extended the length of the principal façade.

Previously listed with St Ninians Chapel (1972).

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899-1901). J Macpherson, Royal Braemar; The Most Fashionable Health Resort in the British Isles (1913), illus. p18. J Geddes, Deeside and the Mearns; An Illustrated Architectural Guide, (2001) p. 157. F Jamieson, 'Mar Lodge Estate, Vol I, Documentary Research' NTS, (1998). 'Mar Lodge Estate; Landscape Assessment' Turnbull Jeffrey Partnership, (1996). 'Destruction of Mar Lodge by Fire', The Scotsman, 15 June 1895. 'The Queen at Mar Lodge', The Scotsman, 16 September 1895.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAR LODGE ESTATE, MAR LODGE INCLUDING GARDEN WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 09:44