Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 88833 80096
288833, 680096


Alex Cullen, 1903. 4-storey, 8-bay (above ground) tenement with shops at ground and commercial premises at 1st floor; ogee-roofed corner tower and Baroque detailing. Polished ashlar with squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear; ashlar dressings. Deep fascia and cornice to shops, eaves cornice. Round-headed door; some large round-headed windows with voussoirs; segmental and triangular pediments; stylised corbels. Chamfered arrises and stone mullions, timber transoms and mullions to round-arched windows.

W (VICAR STREET) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre at ground floor with round-headed doorpiece with 'VICAR CHAMBERS' under corbelled segmental hoodmould and blind panel (see Notes), deep-set panelled timber door, shops with fixed display windows in flanking bays (detail obscured by modern fascias), that to left with 2-leaf panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and panelled soffit; further later broad Art Deco style doorpiece to outer right also under cornice. Vertically-emphasised bays above ground (grouped 1-2-1-2-2); bays 1, 7 and 8 each with 6-light round-headed window giving way to canted oriel windows, bay 8 also breaking eaves into finialled triangular pediment with flanking pinnacles and set-back polygonal tower with deep cornice and finialled lead roof. Bay 4 with single window at 1st floor giving way to keystoned semicircular pediment with flanking corbels at base of full-height chimneys, further single windows above set into vertical panel with keystone and triangular pediment, and flanked by tall stacks piercing eaves. Single windows to remaining bays, those to 2nd and 3rd floors set into panels.

N ELEVATION: plain gabled elevation with stacks flanking gablehead.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: flat-roofed single storey bays projecting at ground; largely regular fenestration to set-back face with 2 stair windows at centre (lower window altered).

4- and 6-pane glazing patterns over plate glass lower sashes to W and plate glass glazing to E, all in timber sash and case windows. Coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: stairway with decoratively-bordered ceramic brick dadoes and panelled timber doors with small-pane top lights to 1st floor. Plain cornices to shop at No 35.

Statement of Special Interest

No 31 (1st floor) was formerly the premises of Customs and Excise shipping agents, and until recently the panel (now blind) over the main door marked 'Vicar Chambers' held a timber-framed painting of ocean going liners. Lawson refers to the 'entry to the Grand Theatre' (1903-1929) but adds that "Today the Regal Cinema occupies the site".

The building was sold to the ABC Group and in 1934 all but the façade was demolished, replaced by the Regal Cinema on Princes Street by architect Charles J McNair. The original entrance to the Grand was replaced by the (now redundant) Art Deco entrance which led to the new cinema café.

List description updated 2010 as a result of the Theatres Thematic Study.



R Jacques FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001), p22. L Lawson A HISTORY OF FALKIRK (1975), p116. Information courtesy of owner No 31. SCOTLAND'S SPLENDID THEATRES pp223-6. (viewed 22-Oct-2008).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 29 - 35 (ODD NOS) VICAR STREET, VICAR CHAMBERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 02:37