Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
East Kilbride
NS 63742 54444
263742, 654444


Benno Schotz, 1937. Memorial to brothers Drs. William and John Hunter.

Statement of Special Interest

Willam and John Hunter were born at Long Calderwood: William was born in 1718 and John 1728. Both left East Kilbride for London and became respected doctors. William had studied at Edinburgh University before venturing south in 1740 to work in the practice of William Smellie, known as the 'man-midwife'. William Hunter became a famed teacher of anatomy believing that a thorough knowledge of anatomy was essential to the practice of good medicine. He became a very popular teacher, most probably because every student was given the opportunity to dissect a human corpse. William's insistence on the study of anatomy strongly implicates him the activities of the 'resurrectionists' as officially only a handful of corpses were provided every year for surgical study. William's main achievement as a surgeon was his pioneering work in gynaecology; in 1774 he published 'The Anatomy of the Human Gravid Uterus'. At his death in 1783, he bequeathed his eclectic collections, which included anatomical specimens, 12,000 books, 6,000 manuscripts, coins and art as well as an ethnographic collection, to Glasgow University. These collections are housed in the University's Hunterian Museum, which was built with money that William had left the university. John Hunter preferred the practical side of medicine and was constantly investigating new avenues. He arrived in London in 1748 with no formal education and became his brother's anatomical assistant. His enquiring mind led him into active service as a surgeon during the Seven Year War, and the result of his time in the field was his book, published in 1794, 'A Treatise on the Blood, Inflammation and Gun-Shot Wounds'. John became a pre-eminent surgeon, he was Surgeon Extraordinary to King George III (his elder brother had been Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Charlotte), but his interests went beyond the human body. In 1771 he published 'A Treatise on the Natural History of Human Teeth' and ten years later was a co-founder of the first Royal Veterinary College. He died ten years after his elder brother and was buried in Westminster Abbey. Like William, John left a vast collection and this was bequeathed to the Royal College of Surgeons in London.




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRIESTKNOWE ROUNDABOUT, HUNTER MEMORIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 20:31