Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
East Kilbride
NS 63619 54587
263619, 654587


Mid 18th century weavers' cottages. Single storey row of 3 properties. Squared and snecked rubble with painted margins and base course.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single window with deeply recessed door flanking in right bays; door with 5-pane fanlight and single window to right and 2 windows to left in centre; single window to left; door with bipartite window to right and adjoining window to left in left bays.

SW ELEVATION: blind gable.

NW ELEVATION: modern extensions cover 2 3rds of elevation; single window with grille in right bay.

NE ELEVATION: adjoining building.

12-paned glazing in 1st 4 windows from right; modern windows to left. Slate roof; straight skews; central coped stack; brick stack in rear skew of SW gable.

Statement of Special Interest

Although much altered, this row of cottages is the only existing example of weavers' cottages in East Kilbride. Their composition of two windows, door and single window is typical of the design of weavers' cottages; the two windows allowed maximum light to penetrate into the weaving room. Originally these cottages would have been thatched but were gradually slated in the early 20th century. The last thatched house in East Kilbride was in Hunter Street and was finally slated in 1931. Weaving was one of the main industries of the village and an incentive for house building, as during the eighteenth century it was a cottage industry. Due to the prominence of this industry at the end of the 18th century there was a fifth more women in East Kilbride than men. This population pattern gradually changed and this coincided with the industrialisation of the weaving. In 1783 Colonel Torrance erected a cotton mill on Mains Street (now the Torrance Hotel, see separate list description). The last weaver, Mary Somerville, died in 1906.



1st Edition OS Map, 1862; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT 1960, p.431-433; T Niven EAST KILBRIDE HISTORY OF PARISH AND VILLAGE 1965, p178.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8-12 (EVEN NOS) HUNTER STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:24