Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 57620 66524
257620, 666524


H and D Barclay, 1907-9. 2-storey, 5-bay, cruciform-plan, plain gothic gabled church on falling ground with offices to ground floor, high nave to 1st floor. Bull-faced yellow sandstone. Clasping buttresses. Corbelled eaves course, gablet raised skews and cross finials to gables. Yellow ashlar margins and mullions to openings.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: corner tower to outer left bay, advanced, paired gabled bays to centre; 3-light, mullion and transomed window to ground rising to 3-light, pointed-arch traceried window to 1st floor. Slightly advanced gabled entrance porch to centre right; roll-moulded deep reveal to pointed entrance arch, 2-leaf, square-headed modern timber doors, 3-light, mullioned fanlight. 3-light pointed arch window to 1st floor. Advanced bay with lean-to roof to outer right bay, small trefoil window to ground floor, 3-light broad rectangular window to 1st floor.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay, advanced gabled block to centre right, gablet to centre terminating in stack, 3-light pointed-arch tracery window to right return. Forestair to rear door to bay to right. Blocked 3-light window to ground floor left, 3-light pointed arch to 1st floor, 2 small blocked windows in bay to far left.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3 large windows to exposed basement of gable end; large 3-light, pointed-arch tracery window to 1st floor. Square-plan corner tower abutting to right; door to ground, narrow rectangular window to 1st floor, plain ashlar parapet, crowstepped caphouse.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end partially obscured by abutting building.

INTERIOR: timber, balustraded staircase within plain, central lobby, plain offices to left and right, church library to rear centre; timber panelled library with fitted gothicised bookcases on all sides. Carved panels above stone fireplace to E wall depicting the oak and salmon of Glasgow and the Swedish flag. Lintels to panelled doors inscribed with various biblical scripts. Stairs emerge to NW corner of 1st floor nave within gothic carved, glazed canopy. Engaged stone columns supporting double rollmoulded pointed-arches to transepts and semicircular-arched chancel, timber panel arcading to rear of chancel.

Square-pane leaded glass. Non-original concrete roof tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low, coped, bull-faced wall, plain capped gate piers.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastic building in use as such. An unusual church of particular interest for its history, built for the Swedenborgian or New Jerusalem Church, whose remaining congregations are now scattered world wide. As the name suggests Swedenborgianism came from Sweden in the early 19th century and, as with similar fringe denominations of the period, established a certain following amongst Glasgow's working poor. By the 1960s the Woodlands congregation had declined to a few widows and was absorbed into the Methodist Church. The Swedenborgian church itself lay vacant through the 1970s until it was purchased by the Methodist Church in the early 1980s and the Methodist congregation was transferred to Woodlands Road. The legacy of the Swedenborgians is still evident in various aspects of the church's design. In particular the body of the church itself is elevated to the 1st floor with the ground floor being given over to meeting rooms, offices and most importantly the library. A defining feature of the sect was its talismanic reverence for the written word, more than just a question of literacy, which placed a theological library at the core of the church building. The wood panelled library itself is carved with religious quotes upon the door lintels and bookcases in various scripts including Latin, Greek and Arabic.

Designed by the younger brother of the partnership, David Barclay (1846-1917) the Swedenborgian church was one of his last buildings and is a momentary departure from the practice's typical classical style as seen in their numerous schools for the Glasgow School Board, returning to classicism again by 1908 for Coatbridge High School. The corner bell tower with caphouse is similar in design to St Andrews Parish Church, Muir Street, Motherwell by Alexander Cullen, 1904 (see separate listing).



E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND- GLASGOW, p 276. DEAN OF GUILD 2/1792.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 229 WOODLANDS ROAD, WOODLANDS METHODIST CHURCH (FORMER SWEDENBORGIAN NEW JERUSALEM CHURCH) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/01/2023 11:52