Henry Higgins, 1887-9; N hall 1906; traceried window 1923. Irregular cruciform-plan gothic church on corner site with attached 2-stage bell tower, 4-bay aisless nave, transepts and steeply-pitched roof. Squared and snecked bull-faced rubble with ashlar dressings. Raised base course and moulded string course. 2-stage coped buttresses; traceried roundel; round-headed, pointed-arch and trefoil-headed windows; hoodmoulds with label stops. Raked cills and chamfered reveals.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with buttressed gabled porch to centre, steps up to broad moulded doorway, narrow lights to returns and deep-
set 2-leaf timber door with multi-pane leaded fanlight, flanking bays each with 2 small trefoil-headed lights; cross-finialled gablehead with large raised-centre triple lancet, glazed oculi over outer lights and hoodmould over centre light giving way to further small square-headed light.
S (THORN ROAD) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with advanced gable with flanking buttresses, row of 5 lancets at 1st stage and stepped string course above giving way to large raised-centre triple lancet; tower (see below) in re-entrant angle to right and single lancet to set-back bay at outer right.
SE TOWER: tall 1st stage engaged to N and W, with single light close to ground and 2 further lights high up to E, 2 lights to S; string course over giving way to slightly reduced 2nd stage with tall timber-louvered opening to each face and chamfered angles
corbelled to diminutive open-arcaded turrets with polygonal caps breaking into main polygonal roof with decorative cast-iron weathervane.
N ELEVATION: gabled transept with 2 lights to each return projecting in bay to right of centre and 2 further small lights to outer right; 3 tall narrow lights to left and 5 trefoil-headed lights to small polygonal-roofed canted stair tower at outer left.
W ELEVATION: broad gable to left with smaller gable projecting from centre with cross- and quatrefoil-traceried circular window, low extension projecting at ground. Set-back bay to right with 2 small lights.
Multi-pane leaded, margined glazing. Coloured glass to circular window and figurative memorial window depicting 'FIDES' (Faith) and 'PATIENTIA' (Endurance). Red tiles. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: galleried with fixed timber pews, boarded dadoes, decorative plasterwork cornice and ribbed vaulted roof. Original part-glazed screen to E; polygonal cast-iron columns supporting gallery with carved blind-arcaded front; pipe organ in panelled timber housing to N transept. Timber-panelled chancel with carved detail of trefoil-headed blind arcade, choir stalls, fretwork-carved Communion Table and polygonal pulpit.
CHURCH HALL: piend-roofed, rectangular-plan church hall to NW. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Pointed-arch windows. Red tiles.
GATEPIERS: coped, circular bull-faced rubble gatepiers (2 pairs).