Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

19-23 (ODD NOS) EGLINTON STREETLB4851

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 34793 53885
Coordinates
234793, 653885

Description

Early 19th century. 2 storeys, 3 bays with 2 late 19th century piended, canted dormers. 3 central pilastered doors (1 now blocked) with continuous entablature and scooped blocking course; flanking windows; 3 architraved windows to 1st floor; all windows with moulded cills. Painted ashlar. Base course; raised angle margins; eaves course, cornice and blocking course.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: late 20th century, non-traditional single storey brick extension; catslide dormer to attic of main building.

Plate glass to shop windows; uPVC glazing replacing 4-pane timber sash and case windows, probably originally 12-pane. Grey slates; stone ridge; end stack with circular clay cans.

INTERIOR: no original features surviving.

Statement of Special Interest

A photograph of 1979 shows this building and 13-17 Eglinton Street next door (separately listed) unified by the openings and margins picked out in matching paint. The photograph also shows the traditional glazing in all the windows including the dormers but excluding the shop windows. The building is clearly contemporary with that next door and the two together make a good group in Eglinton Street. The doorpieces are distinctive and both buildings have the potential to be restored.

References

Bibliography

Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858; marked as hotel on 3rd edition of 1910.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 19-23 (ODD NOS) EGLINTON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 09:09