Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Motherwell And Wishaw
NS 75506 57126
275506, 657126


Pugin and Pugin, 1898. Gabled, basilica-plan, gothic church, 5-light lancet above paired doors to SE end. Squared and snecked, bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar margins. Moulded eaves course. Hoodmoulds to principal openings, flowing tracery.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-bays to entrance in gabled end of nave, paired segmentally-arched doors flanking central niche containing statue of Mary with child on octagonal plinth; traceried 5-light cusped window in panelled pointed arch recess with continuous hoodmould, stone mullions and transom. Coped buttresses. Jettied gablehead, small cusped window, quatrefoils above and flanking, cross finial to apex. Single storey aisles flanking nave; half-gabled bay to left, 3-light segmentally-arched window; octagonal return of baptistery to outer right bay, piended roof with cross finial at apex.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bays, canted apse, piended roof; 3-light segmentally-arched windows to clerestorey bays; single storey, 3-bay, lean-to sacristy.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 8-bay. Regular fenestration to clerestorey and aisle; tripartite stone mullioned segmentally-arched windows, engaged pilasters; additional lancet to outer right bay of clerestorey; bow end to outer left of aisle; door to far right bay, single storey gabled addition to outer right, 4-light segmental arch window.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror to S except door to first bay right; Centre bays to aisles partially obscured by low, flat roof block with single cusped narrow windows.

Diamond pattern leaded windows. Graduated grey slates, lead flashing. Coped parapet to SW gable, cross finial to NE end of roof ridge, Moulded and decorated cast-iron guttering and hoppers.

INTERIOR: aisled with apse exposed roof beams and rafters supported upon moulded stone corbels. Pointed arch bays to aisles supported by plain sandstone columns with low relief carving to neck. Some original encaustic tiles preserved in baptistery. Original Pugin and Pugin woodwork including pews.

PRESBYTERY: 2-storey with attic, 4-bay, rectangular-plan house. Square and snecked red sandstone coursers. Piended roof, prominent gabled bay to right. Base course, dividing band between floors, eaves course. Predominantly bipartite windows, stone mullions, chamfered reveals. SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps to door to centre right, bipartite, pointed arch fanlight, stopped hoodmould; bipartite window to upper storey; bipartite, timber framed, gabled roof dormer. 2-storey, advanced canted windows to right, coped parapet; kneelered gable above, window to gablehead, cross finial to apex. Single window to left of door, bipartite to outer left. NW (REAR) ELEVATION: bipartite windows to outer left bay, steps to sunk basement, single windows to central bay; large tripartite stair window to upper storey right, stone mullions and transom, gabled covered passage to sheds adjoining to ground; bipartite windows to outer right bay. 2 gabled roof dormers. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window to each storey, gabled dormer to centre. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window to each storey, wallhead chimney to centre. MOdern glazing. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped skews with gablet skewputts. Coped ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: dwarf wall, bull-faced red sandstone coursers, saddle-back coping; finialled cast-iron railings. Octagonal gatepiers, crown caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Part of Pugin and Pugin's chain of churches built for the Diocese of Glasgow between 1880 and 1910. The Basilica plan had become the British Catholic standard by 1860 after E W Pugin and always laid out according to a set formula that is:1. West end porch or narthex supporting a gallery for the choir and organ, 2. Baptistery or mortuary chapel at west end of aisles, 3. Wide aisles with widely spaced arcades to nave, 4. Shallow chancel to east end with side altars and altars to east end of aisles, 5. Spacious sacristies. Like St Patrick Sheildmuir in Wishaw (see separate listing), the cathedral follows this formula in plan and is most similar to St Peter Patrick, Glasgow, 1898 in its West End elevation. St Patrick Sheildmuir was the practice's first church with an asymmetrical elevation but the cathedral continued this new approach a year late.



Plans by Pugin and Pugin, Dean of Guild Records, North Lanarkshire Council Archives, Cumbernauld. J Sanders, 'Pugin and Pugin and the Gothic Revival in Scotland', CALEDONIA GOTHICA, Architectural Heritage VIII, EUP, 1997, pp 89-107.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MOTHERWELL, COURSINGTON ROAD, OUR LADY OF GOOD AID, ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL INCLUDING PRESBYTERY, BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:26