Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENCRIPESDALE, GLENCRIPESDALE HOUSELB48285

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/11/2001
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Ardgour
NGR
NM 66229 59211
Coordinates
166229, 759211

Description

Circa 1800. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical, substantial former tacksman's house. Harled, squared sandstone rubble. Gabled porch to centre, roof dormers.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled porch to centre, regular fenestration, 4 small gabled roof dormers.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single window to centre; small lean-to, timber-framed conservatory to right.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey, 2-bay gabled wing to centre, regular fenestration and roof dormers to front, NE, return, swept roof outshot to rear, SW, return. Single storey with attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan gabled addition abutting to centre of SE gable end; door to centre, flanking windows, slated swept dormer.

4-pane sash and case windows to principal elevation. Grey slates, large Velux rooflights to rear. String course to gable stacks, tall clay cans.

INTERIOR: central cross passage with stairs to rear, single flanking rooms, renovated late 1970s.

Statement of Special Interest

The Duke of Argyll's Morvern estates were sold off at the Argyll sales 1819-25 to enterprising sheep ranchers such as the infamous Patrick Sellars of Sutherland who purchased the Ardtornish estate. The fall in wool prices in the mid to late nineteenth century saw the arrival of the new sporting estates and the construction of a new type of comfortable

gentleman's retreat. What is remarkable is that despite these massive changes in landownership, from an Argyll empire through to a patchwork of relatively small shooting estates, is that a number of the fifth Duke of Argyll's tacksmens houses still remain today. Glencripesdale is one of the oldest farms in Morvern dating back to the Maclean period in 1674 (Glencribastil) featuring on Wade's 1733 map of Loch Sunart and the Argyll estate map of 1819. The farm was bought at the Argyll sales in 1820 by the Stewarts of Auch. The house itself dates from the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century and is the largest of the surviving Argyll tacksmens' houses in Morvern

References

Bibliography

R J Naismith, BUILDINGS OF THE SCOTTISH COUNTRYSIDE, (Victor Gollancz, London), 1985, p 28. THE RUDIMENTS OF ARCHITECTURE, (Black and Harris, Whittinghame), reprinted 1992. P Gaskell, MORVERN TRANSFORMED, (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge), 1968. M Bangor-Jones, LANDHOLDING, SETTLEMENT AND VERNACULAR HERITAGE IN WEST ARDNAMURCHAN, Vernacular Building, SVBWG, (MDPrint & Design, Edinburgh), 1995. T Telford, ATLAS TO THE LIFE OF THOMAS TELFORD, (Payne and Foss, London), 1838. Plan of farms in Morvern; Property of the Duke of Argyll, 1819, SRO/RHP3260. Map of Loch Sunart surveyed for General Wade, 1733, SRO/RHP/41892. Plan of the Drimnin Estate for Charles Gordon, SRO/RHP/3258. E Cregeen, THE CHANGING ROLE OF THE HOUSE OF

ARGYLL IN THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS, Scotland in the Age of Improvement, (ed) Phillipson, N T and Mitchison, R, (Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh), 1970, p 21. Additional information courtesy of Iain Thornber.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENCRIPESDALE, GLENCRIPESDALE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 02:23