Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

17 and 18 Teviot Place, EdinburghLB48251

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/10/2001
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25739 73150
Coordinates
325739, 673150

Description

Robert Thornton Shiells, 1872. 4-storey, 4-bay Scots Baronial tenement block with shops at ground. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings, painted at ground. Pilastraded shops with continuous cornice and fascia at ground floor; timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight to flats at centre. Stop-chamfered, tabbed surrounds to windows; bipartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors to outer right and left. Stepped string course to 3rd floor; engaged tourelle with pepper-pot roof and weathervane to outer right. Finialled, pedimented dormerheaded windows to 2 centre bays and finialled gableheaded bipartite to outer left breaking eaves.

Plate glass and 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates on double pitched roofs. Crowstepped skews. Corniced end and ridge stack extending to eaves with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

A prominently sited tenement block with good stone detailing in distinctive Scots Baronial style, forming a strong visual group with the neighbouring buildings on Teviot Place.

Robert Thornton Shiells was apprenticed to David Bryce before setting up his own practice in 1862. The tenements are some of his earlier works. He designed the Tron Free Church in 1877 and from then on designed a succession of fine quality of Romanesque Churches.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

The buildings were constructed as part of the Forrest Road, Teviot Place and Bristo Place development concurrent with the building of the New Medical School and the McEwan Hall in the later 19th century. The former Royal Infirmary was built around the same time as the redevelopment of Teviot Place so some of the shops on Teviot Place traded in medical equipment, books and clothing for the hospital and medical staff. The tradition is ongoing with some premises continuing to trade medical learning products (2011).

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12).

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '17 and 18 Teviot Place'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 125240

Dean of Guild (7 June 1872).

1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1877).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

South elevation, 17 and 18 Teviot Place, Edinburgh

Printed: 24/01/2022 04:27