Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

20-24 (EVEN NOS) FORREST ROADLB48242

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/10/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25722 73159
Coordinates
325722, 673159

Description

John C Hay, 1872. 4-storey, 4-bay, Scots Baronial tenement block with crowstepped gables and shops at ground floor. Crowstepped gables. 3-storey canted windows to outer bays, kneelered gable with carved panel at apex breaking eaves to outer right, piend-roofed canted windows to outer left. Squared and snecked rock-faced sandstone with polished dressings (painted at ground). Continuous moulded cornice and decorative brattishing to shopfronts with stop-chamfered, segmental-arched openings; corbel table at 3rd floor; moulded eaves course. Stop-chamfered, tabbed surrounds at upper windows. Segmental-arched openings at ground. Timber panelled door with segmental-arched fanlight in roll-moulded surround to centre; single windows in 2 bays above, those at 4th floor with ball-finialled gables breaking eaves.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Double pitch grey slate roof. Crowstepped skews. Corniced rendered stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

A good tenement block, with a variety of distinctive Scots Baronial details, containing a well preservied run of original shop fronts with arched openings retaining some brattishing. The composition contributes to the 19th century historic character of the streetscape. The Dean of Guild drawings show that John C Hay designed the Oddfellows Hall, in the centre of the E side of Forrest Road, and the tenements to either side of which this is one.

John C Hay (c1840-1925) began practising in Edinburgh working from 3 Hanover Street in 1867, after which he moved offices many times. The body of his work is in Edinburgh with some churches but mostly tenements the majority of which are in Marchmont and the South Side of Edinburgh. He was President of the Edinburgh Architectural Society at some point in his career.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12).

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild Plans, (1 July 1872). 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1877). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p733.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 20-24 (EVEN NOS) FORREST ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/01/2022 04:18