Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

4-8 (EVEN NOS) FORREST ROADLB48240

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/10/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25727 73195
Coordinates
325727, 673195

Description

John C Hay,dated 1872. Asymmetrical, 4-storey, 4-bay Scots Baronial corner tenement block with shops to ground floor; bowed window and finialled fish-scale-slated circular turret to NW corner, and breaking eaves dormers.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: irregular gabled 3-bay side elevation. Squared and snecked rock-faced sandstone with polished dressings. Moulded cill course to 1st floor; corbel table to 3rd floor. Long and short quoins; crowstepped gables. Windows in tabbed, stop-chamfered surrounds. Original segmental-arched openings to shop at ground floor to outer right; piended 3-storey canted window above; brattishing to either side. Segmental-arched windows to 1st floor. Single windows in 2nd bay from right, dated shield plaque to dormer gable. Projecting 2-bay section to left: timber panelled door with segmental-arched fanlight in roll-moulded surround to right; small gabled canted window with quatrefoil-pierced balconette to 4th floor above; bipartite windows to centre, single windows to left.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, 2-pane pattern with curved glass to corner windows. Double pitch grey slate roof. Rebuilt corniced apex stacks with circular cans to N; polygonal-ended corniced ridge stack with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

This tenement block, on prominent corner site, is a good example of the Scots Baronial urban style making a strong contribution to the streetscape. Dean of Guild drawings show that John Hay designed the Oddfellows Hall, in the centre of the E side of Forrest Road, and the tenements to either side and thus creating a good grouping of late 19th century buildings.

John C Hay (c1840-1925) began practising in Edinburgh working from 3 Hanover Street in 1867, after which he moved offices many times. The body of his work is in Edinburgh with some churches but mostly tenements the majority of which are in Marchmont and the South Side of Edinburgh. He was President of the Edinburgh Architectural Society at some point in his career.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

The buildings were constructed as part of the Forrest Road, Teviot Place and Bristo Place development concurrent with the building of the New Medical School and the McEwan Hall in the later 19th century. The former Royal Infirmary was built around the same time as the redevelopment of Teviot Place so some of the shops on Teviot Place traded in medical equipment, books and clothing for the hospital and medical staff. The tradition is ongoing with some premises continuing to trade medical learning products (2011).

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild, (1 July 1872). Appears on 1877 Ordnance Survey map. J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p733.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4-8 (EVEN NOS) FORREST ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2022 19:58