Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

15-19 (Inclusive Numbers) Bristo Place and 2-3 Teviot Place, EdinburghLB48212

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/10/2001
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25792 73170
Coordinates
325792, 673170

Description

Possibly Robert Thornton Shiells, dated 1871. 4-storey and attic Scots Baronial corner tenement block with shops at ground; 4 bays and further 3-storey and attic 3-bay section to Bristo Place, 5 bays to Teviot Place, with gabled canted corner bay flanked by engaged tourelles. Coursed stugged sandstone with raised and polished dressings. Pilastered shops with painted continuous cornice and fascia at ground. Stepped string course at attic floor. Windows in stop-chamfered, tabbed surrounds. Long and short quoins.

NE (BRISTO PLACE) ELEVATION: 3-bay lower section to right: regularly fenestrated at 1st and 2nd floors; single window with pedimented dormer breaking eaves to outer right; paired windows in crowstepped and kneelered gable with apex stack to left. Carved panels between left and centre bays (see Notes). 3 bays to left regularly fenestrated; 3 single windows with pedimented dormers breaking eaves. Engaged tourelle with conical roof, weathervane and fish-scale slates to outer left. Canted corner bay with bipartite windows, chequer-set machicolation at 3rd floor, corbel table to attic floor and carved panel in kneelered gable (see Notes).

SE (TEVIOT PLACE) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; bipartites to centre bay. Oriel with rope-work to corbel, long and short quoins and kneelered pediment with carved panel to attic to outer left with; engaged tourelle with candle-snuffer roof, weathervane and fish-scale slates to outer right; wallhead stack abutted by small crowstepped window in 2nd bay from left; 2 pedimented gabled dormerheads breaking eaves to centre.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates on double pitched roofs. Crowstepped skews. Corniced end, ridge and wallhead stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

A large later 19th century Scots Baronial style corner tenement block with good carved stone details prominently sited to a corner and overlooking the open space of Bristo Square and the McEwan Hall beyond.

The tenements may be by the architect Robert Thornton Shiells (1833-1902) as it is recorded in the Dictionary of Scottish architects that he built a tenement with Shops on Teviot Row in 1872. These tenements are constructed on the site of the garden grounds of Darian House and city's poorhouse (Bedlam). The site was sold in 1870 to accommodate the requirements of the developing town and in 1871 the poorhouse buildings were demolished to make way for the new development.

The buildings were constructed as part of the Forrest Road, Teviot Place and Bristo Place development concurrent with the building of the New Medical School and the McEwan Hall in the later 19th century. The former Royal Infirmary was built around the same time as the redevelopment of Teviot Place so some of the shops on Teviot Place traded in medical equipment, books and clothing for the hospital and medical staff. The tradition is ongoing with some premises continuing to trade medical learning products (2011).

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

Carved panels to NE elevation with date AD 1871 and inscription: 'SITE OF THE DARIEN HOUSE BUILT 1698'; carved panels to canted corner: 1513 SITE OF TOWN WALL; motto 'VIGILANTIBUS NON DORMIENTIBUS' below carved phoenix.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12).

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '15-19 (inclusive nos) Bristo Place and 2-3 Teviot Place'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 126759

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1877).

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p221.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.scottisharchitects.org (accessed 2011).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

West elevation, 15-19 (Inclusive Numbers) Bristo Place and 2-3 Teviot Place, Edinburgh

Printed: 28/01/2022 19:21