Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

INCHCOONANS ROAD, ERROL BRICK COMPANY BRICK STACKS AND KILNSLB48180

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
21/09/2001
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Errol
NGR
NO 23857 23336
Coordinates
323857, 723336

Description

1950. 2 single chamber, downdraught beehive kilns and 2 tapering square-section stacks. Brick and steel construction.

KILNS: circular brick base with wickets giving way to sectioned steel wall, narrow bracketed steel platform with railing and domed brick roof 20 ft diameter. Doors to SW. That to E (museum) with round-headed brick doorpiece and timber door. That to W retaining some fireboxes.

STACKS: tapering square-section stacks with metal bands, that to W with corbelled cope.

Statement of Special Interest

The TEMCO kilns were last used in 1986, since when the eastern example has been converted to a museum and plans are currently (2000) afoot to restore that to the west. The method of firing from the side led to massive heat variation, with the sprung roof expanding by 1.5". The beehive kilns were capable of holding from 10,000 - 100,000 bricks per load, and were also used in the production of large drain pipes. Errol Brick Company is the only survivor of a group of nineteenth century brickworks in the area: the others were Pitfour Patent Brick Company, Megginch, Waterybutts and Nether Mains of Inchture. Errol (Inchcoonans Tile Works) Brickworks opened in 1855 producing pottery (a short lived venture), bricks and field drainage tiles. Using local alluvial clay, brick making was introduced by the Romans, and revived in the sixteenth century by traders from the Low Countries. The parish has examples of brick farmhouses dating from the late 18th century, with a rare mid century survival at Flatfield; steadings were not built of brick until the early 19th century. The kilns at Errol Brick Company comprise: 1 rectangular downdraught kiln, 2 round downdraught kilns (see above), 1 tunnel kiln and 1 modern shuttle kiln.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS Douglas and Oglethorpe BRICK, TILE AND FIRECLAY INDUSTRIES IN SCOTLAND (1993). ERROL BRICK Information Leaflet. Melville ERROL (1935).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INCHCOONANS ROAD, ERROL BRICK COMPANY BRICK STACKS AND KILNS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/03/2020 00:17