Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ERROL VILLAGE, STATION ROAD AND NORTH BANK DYKES, THE SCHOOLHOUSE (FORMER FEMALE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB48177

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Errol
NGR
NO 25322 22940
Coordinates
325322, 722940

Description

J, JM and WH Hay of Liverpool, 1855; building 'reconditioned' 1925. Tall single storey and attic, 3-bay, gothic schoolhouse with porch and corbelled oriel, on ground falling to E. Snecked rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Raised base and eaves courses. Pointed-arch doorpiece and trefoil-headed windows with raked cills. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with steps and bootscrapers up to gabled porch with boarded timber door, decorative ironwork hinges and ribbon carving in gablehead worded 'ALL THY CHILDREN SHALL BE TAUGHT OF THE LORD', small pointed-arch light to each return bipartite window to right and 2 small bipartites above breaking eaves into dormerheads. Bay to left of centre with large tripartite window and relieving arch.

S (NORTH BANK DYKES) ELEVATION: tall gabled elevation with small window with basket-arched ogee-headed moulding giving way to incised panel 'This Building for a Female Industrial School was erected through the Exertions of the Rev John Caird minister of the Parish of Errol aided by many friends. Opened February A D 1836.' Corbelled, 4-light canted oriel above.

N ELEVATION: 4-light window to ground with bipartite above.

W ELEVATION: tall single storey former schoolroom projecting at centre, full-height shouldered stack (raised in brick) piercing eaves at outer right.

Mostly diamond-pattern timber lights; 4-light window to N with 4-pane glazing pattern to each light; opening casements plate glass; 6-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case window to ground S. Graded grey slates. Coped rubble and brick stack with cans. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Former school to W, now the Community Centre, is listed separately (see North Bank Dykes). Conceived as an educational opportunity for girls of the parish to receive training in the arts of womanhood, the Industrial School was opened in 1856, under the guidance of its first teacher Miss Euphemia Pugh. Mr & Mrs Drummond of Megginch were benefactors, holding two fund raising bazaars in the castle grounds. The school remained independent until joining the School Board in 1914. Taken over by the Education Authority in 1918 and subsequently housing the Errol School Infants' Department, it was finally closed in the mid 1970s. The present owner thinks internal alterations were carried out during the 1930s.

References

Bibliography

Melville ERROL (1935), p68. Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ERROL VILLAGE, STATION ROAD AND NORTH BANK DYKES, THE SCHOOLHOUSE (FORMER FEMALE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/03/2020 23:36