Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 25421 23041
325421, 723041


Probably 1925. Single storey, 7-bay, Renaissance style Board School with ogee-roofed belfry. Raised base course and eaves cornice. Ashlar with raised margins. Keystoned, pilastered and corniced Venetian windows; glazed occuli. Stone mullions.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay with bipartite window giving way to gablehead with oculus, flanking ball-finialled cubic skew blocks and semicircular pediment, belfry with keystoned round-headed opening to each face and decorative cast-iron finial at roof ridge behind; smaller bipartite to flanking bays with deep-set timber doors and multi-pane fanlights beyond, that to right with disabled access ramp; advanced outer curvilinear gables each with broad Venetian window, flanking skew blocks as above and oculus in oversized triangular pediment.

NE ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with slightly advanced gable to centre detailed as outer bays to SE, flanking bays each with bipartite except outer right bay with single window.

SW ELEVATION: bipartite window to centre bay detailed as SE centre, flanking bays blank.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation including broad tripartite to right gable and 2 original piended dormers.

Multi-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped brick stacks. Ashlar-coped skews. Square-section gutters and cast-iron downpipes.

INTERIOR: some timber boarded dadoes; coombed ceilings. Pedimented timber 'Dux' board from 1925 - 1971.

ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: 2 slated and piended brick playsheds with cast-iron columns. That to SW with cast-iron water fountain (not working) stamped 'GLENFIELD & KENNEDY KILMARNOCK'.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: saddleback-coped squared rubble boundary and quadrant walls with pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar piers. High coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly Errol Public School, becoming the Infant Department in 1964 and Errol Primary School in 1971. As the 'Dux Medallists' board dates from 1925 it is reasonable to date the building from this.



Information courtesy of teacher.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ERROL VILLAGE, STATION ROAD, PRIMARY SCHOOL INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/03/2020 00:33