Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

EILEAN MOR, FLANNAN ISLES LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING FORMER KEEPER'S HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB48143

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/09/2001
Local Authority
Na h-Eileanan Siar
Planning Authority
Na h-Eileanan Siar
Parish
Uig
NGR
NA 72667 46884
Coordinates
72667, 946884

Description

David Alan Stevenson, engineer, 1899; George Lawson, Rutherglen, builder; automated 1971. Battered, circular, 3-stage lighthouse tower with single storey, flat-roofed, L-plan keeper's house clasping base at NE corner, sited on steeply falling site. Whitewashed squared rubble with raised margins. Base eaves and blocking courses.

LIGHTHOUSE: 23m high. Tall 1st stage with blocked opening at ground, part-blocked opening approximately half way and window close to top; corbelled walkway giving way to 2nd stage with modern steel railings, row of small glazed portholes and door; narrower pierced cast-iron decking above surmounted by lamp with diagonal astragals and ball-finialled domed cap with weathervane.

INTERIOR: serpentine cast-iron staircase with timber handrail; boarded timber deck with iron girders supported in fluted pilasters and timber-moulded porthole openings.

KEEPER'S HOUSE: principal (S) elevation with 3 windows in advanced section with modern gantry supporting solar panels (see Notes), and recessed entrance bay with door and window. N elevation with door and 3 windows, E elevation with door and window.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: saddleback-coped, snecked roughly squared rubble and random rubble boundaries with pyramidally-coped square-section gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Flannan Lighthouse is now termed a 'Major Automatic Light' since its de-manning on 28 September 1971. It signals by flashing 2 white lights every 30 seconds with a candlepower of 100,000 which can be seen for 20 miles. It has been altered from gas power to solar electric, circa 2000. The structure was built at a cost of ?6,914, including landing places and stairs, on Eilean Mor by George Lawson who also built the dwelling houses for the lightkeepers' wives and families at the shore station at Breasclete, Isle of Lewis (listed separately at category B). Building materials were, of necessity, hauled up the 150 foot cliff face. With no radio communication in 1899, Roderick MacKenzie, gamekeeper on Lewis, was appointed as observer to the light for which service he received ?8 per annum. Little more than a year after the lighthouse began service, on 15th December, 1900, three men disappeared without trace, they were James Ducat Principal Keeper, Thomas Marshall, 2nd Assistant Keeper and Donald McArthur, Occasional Keeper. The disaster, not discovered until 26th December, was most likely caused by a large and unexpected wave which swept them into the sea.

References

Bibliography

Northern Lighthouse Board STANDARD BRIEF. B Bathurst THE LIGHTHOUSE STEVENSONS (1999), pp248-251.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EILEAN MOR, FLANNAN ISLES LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING FORMER KEEPER'S HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2022 05:40