Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Papa Westray
HY 49668 52776
349668, 1052776


Circa 1825. Traditional single storey, 3-bay cottage; later (1912) single storey extension. 2 barns to S form U-plan courtyard; ancillary structures to SE and NW. Rendered cottage; exposed flagstone elsewhere including house extension. Alternate canted corner stones to quoins.


S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation; window to right and left bay. Advanced modern 20th century, flat-roofed porch; door off-centre to left; flanking windows. 1912 extension to right; door; window to far right.

W ELEVATION: window to left.

N ELEVATION: rear lean-to extension to original cottage, to left. Window to right of later addition.

E ELEVATION: window to right.

Replacement windows and doors. Modern roof lights to front of original cottage; roof light to rear of extension. Pitched roof; modern slate to original house; original stone slate roof to later addition. Gable end stacks to original cottage; E gable end stack to extension.

INTERIOR: baffle entrance; corridor to S. Kitchen to W; stove to W gable. Box bed opposite stove. Timber panelled 2-leaf doors to cupboard to left of box bed. Ben end to E; box bed projects from W wall into room. Fireplace to E. Modern bathroom inserted between but and ben end rooms. Door to right of ben end fireplace leads into extension, corridor ahead. Room to E; box bed to W wall; fireplace to E wall; glazed tiles to fireplace surround. Cupboard door to right of fireplace, window to left. Door to right of box bed leads into further room to W. Vibrant colours to all rooms; shades of green to but end; kitchen dresser and glass-fronted cabinet also painted green. Timber panelling divides internal spaces; orange painted entrance corridor; yellow painted ben end. Pink and yellow decor to extension; green painted room behind box bed. Architraved box beds with pelmet. Coved ceilings; timber lined to all rooms except corridor.


E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: cart/tractor shed to far left; raised wallhead; large doors. Barn to right; door to left; door to far right with window to left flank. Stone platform to far right for water tank.

S ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

W ELEVATION: lean-to extends along rear of barn.

N ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

Replacement timber doors. Pitched roof; stone slate. Roof lights to E.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.


W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: sliding door to left; blocked door to right. Stone platform to far right for water tank. Adjoining shed to right; door off-centre to left.

S ELEVATION: blocked window to right.

E ELEVATION: plain elevation to shed to left. Later lean-to barn to right.

N ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Replacement timber doors. Pitched roofs; corrugated asbestos. Stone aisins remain to shed to S.


Small, single storey, rectangular-plan shed to NW of house. Door in S elevation to right; plain walls to N, and W. Remains of lean-to to right of E elevation; door to S. Stone slate roof; central roof light to S. Small, low, lean-to shed to N of house; field walls form S and E elevations. Plain N and W elevations. Flagstone lean-to roof. Small, single storey, rectangular-plan shed to SE of E barn. Door to right in W elevation; lean-to to right; door in W elevation. Lean-to to S elevation; plain N elevation; E elevation not seen, 2000. Stone slate roof; roof light to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Despite the external alterations to the original cottage, namely replacement windows, porch addition and re-roofing, the retention of its internal layout and furnishings make it a rare survival. The farm group also remains as a whole and in good condition. Also notable are the stone platforms upon which flagstone (now metal) water tanks sat, collecting rainfall from both barn roofs. Adding an extra room to accommodate the growing family was common practice in Orkney and the style of the new build usually followed that of the original. The house was built by the great grandfather of the current owner, Maggie Harcus. Miss Harcus has lived at Mid House all her life.



1st Edition 25" OS Map (LXXI.9), 1881; additional information courtesy of the owner, 2000.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MID HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/04/2019 07:28