Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HOLLAND, WINDMILL STUMP AND STORELB48097

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
23/07/2001
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Papa Westray
NGR
HY 48998 51290
Coordinates
348998, 1051290

Description

1865. Turret post mill stump; harled. Single storey grain store; flagstone.

WINDMILL STUMP

Tapered rubble tower, 2.9m high. Timber centre post in position. Flagstones cover top of stump.

SHED

E ELEVATION: central timber boarded door.

S ELEVATION: plain elevation.

W ELEVATION: central door.

N ELEVATION: plain elevation.

INTERIOR: open, empty interior.

Pitched roof; crude semi-crowstepped gables. Overseamed flagstone roof; aisins.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Holland House, Pair of Storehouses/Bothies to NE of Holland House, Holland House Walled Garden, Walled Garden, Holland Farm and Holland Dovecot. Although situated some distance from the farm, the mill and store are part of the Holland Farm complex. The farm was once the home farm to the earlier Holland House (which was sited to the N of the current house). In 1814, as a result of the increased income from the kelp boom, George Traill built a new house beside the farm. After the collapse of the kelp boom in the 1830's, George Traill turned his attention to his farm and initiated some improvements including rebuilding much of the farm and also introducing one of the first horse-powered threshing mills in Orkney. Particular to Orkney, only a few turret post mills remain. Annotated as a corn mill on the 1st Edition OS Map, the windmill ground bere and continued in operation until early 20th century. In 1926 the timber superstructure was dismantled. A millstone lies beside the mill stump. The bere was stored in the nearby shed to the E.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS 25" Map, LXXI.13, 1881; A Fenton, The Northern Isles, 1978, p399; RCAHMS, THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES AND MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND, 19, PAPA WESTRAY AND WESTRAY, 1983, p21; G Douglas, M Oglethorpe, J Hume, SCOTTISH WINDMILLS, 1990, pp36, 77-80; J Rendall, PAPAY, 1996, pp21-29; Holland Accounts Ledgers; additional information courtesy of Jocelyn Rendall.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOLLAND, WINDMILL STUMP AND STORE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 10:24