Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

EASDALE ISLAND, THE DRILL HALLLB48057

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/08/1980
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Kilbrandon And Kilchattan
NGR
NM 73953 17055
Coordinates
173953, 717055

Description

EASDALE ISLAND, THE DRILL HALL Mid 19th century. Single storey, square-plan with pyramidal roof, former drill hall. Slate and whinstone coursers.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad rectangular entrance to centre.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: obscured by abutting building.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: far right obscured by abutting building.

INTERIOR: not seen 2001.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank.

Boarded rooflights, predominantly felt roofing tiles some slates to NW, lead flashing.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with numbers: Harbour Breastwall; 1; 2,3,4,5; 8,100,6; 9; 11,11A, 11B; 12; 12A; 13; 15; 32,18,19; 23; 24; 29; 31,33A, 33; 34,35; 41,42,43,44; 47; 48; 36; 50,51,52,53,54; Coalery; 55, ordered to follow the original numbering from east to west across Easdale Island, not in actual numeric order.

Easdale (the term Easdale slate includes the slate islands of Seil and Luing) was the centre of the Scottish slate industry from the sixteenth century through to a peak in the late nineteenth century. The seventeenth century roofs of Ardmaddy, Cawdor and Stalker castles being of Easdale slate, predating the earliest Ballachulish slates. However, systematic industry and settlement on the island dates from 1745 when the island's owner John Campbell, Earl of Breadalbane set up the Marble and Slate Company of Netherlorn. Over a million slates were manufactured in that year alone. From this time through to the late nineteenth century it is common to see Easdale slates referred to in building descriptions, inventories and building contracts across Scotland (see the first and second Statistical Accounts). The company was dissolved in 1866 and the various quarries came under new separate ownership. The lease for Easdale being bought by a consortium of Glasgow merchants who formed the Easdale Slate Quarrying Company, their company logo can still sometimes be discerned stencilled on old slates. Commercial production stopped in 1915 with the slate beds running out or too unsafe depths (the Windmill Quarry ran to over 150ft below sea level) and with no rail links Easdale could not compete with cheaper competition from Wales and Westmoreland. With much of the regular army engaged in Imperial wars with the French Emperor Louis Napoleon throughout the mid nineteenth century volunteer forces were raised by the Scottish regiments to defend the more isolated areas of coastline. With more than 500 men employed by the Easdale Marble and Slate Company it was logical that the first volunteer force established by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders was at Easdale. Quarriers were encouraged to enlist by the company and island's owner, Lord Breadalbane, who provided the Drill Hall. A battery was also built on the west side of the island overlooking the Firth of Lorn and equipped with cannons from the Clyde naval yard, discarded after ship refits. The volunteers were run until the closure of the quarries in when most of the young men were forced to leave the island for work. Since then it has been used as a storehouse, a fish processing plant and a community centre. A similar Drill Hall was built across on the mainland at Ellanabeich. For further information see separate listing for Easdale Harbour Quays.

References

Bibliography

Information provided by the Easdale Island Folk Museum.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EASDALE ISLAND, THE DRILL HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:57