Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PIEROWALL, GILL POINT, STOREHOUSELB48000

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
30/03/2001
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Westray
NGR
HY 44726 49053
Coordinates
344726, 1049053

Description

1888. 3-storey, 10-bay, rectangular-plan storehouse, former fish curing shed. Exposed flagstone walls. Slaister pointing remains in places and to rear. Alternate canted corner stones to quoins.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical elevation. 2 windows to left; door; 3 windows to right of door; door; 2 windows to right of 2nd door; window to far right. 10 1st floor windows; 10 2nd floor windows. Central date stone between 1st and 2nd floor, dated 1888. Round-headed doorways.

NE ELEVATION: later stone ramp leads up to large inserted 1st floor door. Central 2nd floor window. Modern lean-to building to left

SE ELEVATION: 2nd floor windows. Modern lean-to addition obscures ground and 1st floors.

SW ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left (truncated, possible former hoist door); central 2nd floor window.

Varied glazing; predominantly 6-pane timber windows. 2 sliding timber doors to principal elevation doorways; single large sliding timber door to NE. Pitched slate roof. Coped gable end stacks and ridge stacks; numerous circular clay cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Pierowall Harbour, Gill Pier. A large storehouse (former fish drying shed), remaining remarkably intact. Traditional, functional appearance, notable for its symmetrically placed windows. It continues to be used for storage. According to L Burgher, fish were salted in the store and in winter, hung on hooks to dry over movable braziers.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition OS Map, 1976; J Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, Vol II, 1977, p251; RCAHMS, MONUMENTS OF INDUSTRY, 1986, pp24-25; L Burgher, ORKNEY, 1991, p94; G Douglas, CLOSET, GILL PIER, WESTRAY, ORKNEY, SVBWG, Vol 15, 1991, p50.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PIEROWALL, GILL POINT, STOREHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:09