Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

WISHAW, GARRION BRIDGE, MILLFIELD HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB47989

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/2001
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Parish
Cambusnethan
NGR
NS 79431 51185
Coordinates
279431, 651185

Description

1890. 2-storey, 5-bay, cruciform-plan, asymmetrical, villa. Round tower to NE, square tower to SE. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Base course, eaves course; projecting ashlar quoins, crowstep margins and blocked architraves.

W (PRINCIPAL, GARDEN) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre; canted bay to centre, flat-roof; round-arched bipartite window with stone mullion above; blind oculus at apex, finialed gable; tall wallhead chimney to right return. Slightly advanced small gabled bay to right; modern conservatory, round-arched window to 1st floor. Bay to outer right obscured by modern conservatory. Square-plan, 2-stage tower to right; round-arched door to centre, round-arched bipartite window with stone mullion to 2nd stage; steep pavilion roof, bird-cage cast-iron steeple with finial at apex; single window to left return. Stone mullioned bipartite to outer bay to left.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre; 2 windows to ground, round-arched window to 1st floor. Slightly advanced small gabled bay to left; door to right; round-arched window to apex. Shouldered windows to bay to outer left at ground. Circular-plan, 2-stage tower to bay to right; tall bipartite window at ground, mullioned and transomed in stone; bowed round-arched window to 2nd stage, gable breaking eaves; finialed spire. Bay to outer right.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; regular fenestration at ground; single round-arched window at apex; tall gablehead chimney.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; window to ground left; paired windows to 1st floor; tall gablehead chimney.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Towering stacks with heavily moulded coping. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

BOUNDARY WALL: low wall, squared sandstone coursers with saddleback coping, quadrants into driveway, terminating in low capped piers.

Statement of Special Interest

Millfield, the mill owner's house, the adjacent gardener's and chauffeur's cottage and garage of Millfied Cottage (see separate listing), the mill manager's house at Garrionhurst (see separate listing) and two terraces of mill worker's cottages, formed the hamlet of Garrion overlooking the site of where Garrion mill once stood. A mill operated on this site since the medieval period when it was run by the monks of Kelso in relation to the Bishop of Glasgow's summer residence at Garrion Tower (see separate listing). By the late nineteenth the mill operation was run by John Lee Brown and it was he who built the hamlet as exists. The mill was run by Lee from 1880 to 1918 when it was sold to a Mr MacGregor and was in use until the 1960s. The grounds at Millfield show signs of earlier landscaping on the steep Clyde bank, now lost, such as covered trellised paths, arboretum and a terrace tennis court.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of local residents.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WISHAW, GARRION BRIDGE, MILLFIELD HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 02:15