Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

WISHAW, GARRION BRIDGE, 1 AND 2 MILLFIELD COTTAGELB47988

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/2001
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Parish
Cambusnethan
NGR
NS 79417 51138
Coordinates
279417, 651138

Description

Dated 1890. Single storey and garret, symmetrical, Greek cross-plan, combination cottages and garage. Square-plan tower with spire to NW corner. Squared and snecked, tooled yellow sandstone. Exposed rafters, overhanging eaves.

E (STREET) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre, engaged wallhead chimney stack to centre, flanking windows, small window to left of apex. Bay to right, advanced lean-to porch to right with door to right return, window to right with finialed gable breaking eaves. Single narrow bay to left, door with modern glass porch.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre, 2 windows outside of ground, paired small windows to apex; blind bay to left, door to narrow bay to right.

N (MILLFIELD HOUSE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; segmental-arched garage door to left, door to right, window to apex; low square-plan tower to outer right; canted at ground with small square window to centre, corbelled out to eaves course, 1890 datestone to centre, corbelled timber cornice, spire.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; paired narrow windows to outer edges at ground; round-arched window with projecting cill at apex.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows to front and N side, modern double glazing to S and rear. Grey slates, lead flashing.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

Interesting combination estate building with a garage housed in the north wing facing Millfied House (see separate listing) and enclosed within the garden walls of Millfied. Whilst to the south the building is divided into a gardener's cottage at the rear and chauffeur's cottage at the front, each has their own direct street entrance. These cottages along with the mill owner's Millfied House, the mill manager's house at Garrionhurst (see separate listing) and two terraces of mill worker's cottages formed the hamlet of Garrion overlooking the site of where Garrion mill once stood. A mill operated on this site since the medieval period when it was run by the monks of Kelso in relation to the Bishop of Glasgow's summer residence at Garrion Tower (see separate listing). By the late nineteenth the mill operation was run by John Lee Brown and it was he who built the hamlet as exists. The mill was run by Lee from 1880 to 1918 when it was sold to a Mr. MacGregor and was in use until the 1960s.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of local residents.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WISHAW, GARRION BRIDGE, 1 AND 2 MILLFIELD COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 02:07