Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BONKLE, 1 CHURCH ROADLB47980

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/2001
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Parish
Cambusnethan
NGR
NS 83622 56978
Coordinates
283622, 656978

Description

1813. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled former toll-house. Semicircular-plan columned porch with piended roof. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Base course, cavetto moulded cornice.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf door to centre with steps up to advanced semicircular porch; 4 plain Doric columns supporting entablature, piended roof. Bipartite windows with stone mullions, projecting cills and penticed stone canopies to flanking bays.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: completely obscured by modern addition, including full-length box dormers.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: harled.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window, harled.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows to front, modern glazing to side and rear. Grey slates to front, box dormer to rear. Harled, coped stone gable end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

Former toll house for the Edinburgh-Ayr road as it passed through the Allanton Estate, known locally as 'The Pillars'. The road switched its route to pass to the north of the house in 1817 when Allanton Loch was created flooding the old toll road. Built as part of the Stewarts of Allanton estate improvement programme 1800-1820. The North and South Lodges of James Gillespie Graham's Allanton House were built in a similar style with a semicircular columned porch but these have been lost.

References

Bibliography

Website: bonkle.org.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BONKLE, 1 CHURCH ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 03:51