Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BONKLE, CHURCH ROAD, BONKLE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING CHURCH HALL AND GATEPIERSLB47979

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/2001
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Parish
Cambusnethan
NGR
NS 83710 57022
Coordinates
283710, 657022

Description

Dated 1878. Rectangular-plan, gothic church. Gabled with engaged entrance tower to N gable; arcade and gallery windows to nave. Squared and tooled sandstone coursers with ashlar detailing. Continuous cill string course at ground, stopped hoodmoulds to openings, corbelled eaves course. Plate tracery to pointed-arch clerestorey windows.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-stage engaged tower to centre; slightly advanced gabled porch with foliate finial at apex, entrance roll and nailhead moulded to deep reveal; 2-leaf door with decorative strap-hinges. 2-light lancet with quatrefoil to 2nd stage. Battered 3rd stage; 1878 date stone; small louvered lancet opening to centre with broad cill course. Bipartite louvered, cusped lancet opening with stone mullion; continuous cill course; eaves course, corbelled cornice; spire.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 large, stepped lancets to centre. Single storey lean-to vestry to ground, advanced lean-to entrance porch to right return.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, regular fenestration; bipartite windows to ground; 2-light plate traceried clerestorey windows.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of E.

Square leaded windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Saw-tooth coped skews with gablet kneelers.

INTERIOR: gabled nave with billetted cornice. Timber U-plan gallery with fixed family box pews to gable end; supported on cast-iron pillars with foliate capitals. Steps to canted timber panelled pulpit at S end, door to left of pulpit to small vestry and rear entrance. Fixed timber pews to nave and aisles, doors to left and right of N end of nave, through to vestibule; flanking staircases up to gallery. Decorative geometric patterned stained glass to chancel end.

CHURCH HALL: circa 1890. U-plan, gabled. Squared and tooled sandstone. Bipartite windows with stone mullions to advanced wings with arrow slits above; door to right return of left wing; flanking windows to bipartite to right wing; gap partially filled with later lean-to addition. Regularly fenestrated to rear, modern hall abutting to S side. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped skews with kneelered skewputts.

GATEPIERS: octagonal stone piers; plinth, entablature with quatrefoil frieze, pyramidal caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The first Bonkle church was built in the early nineteenth century to replace the early eighteenth century Kirk O' The Muir at Dura on Auchterhead Muir which was at some distance from the village and in disrepair. The first church at Bonkle developed an unstable west wall and funds were raised to build a second, which is the present church of 1878.

References

Bibliography

Website: bonkle.org.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BONKLE, CHURCH ROAD, BONKLE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING CHURCH HALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 04:13