Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WISHAW, YOUNG STREET, ST IGNATIUS ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATE PIERLB47975

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
30/03/2001
Supplementary Information Updated
06/07/2001
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Burgh
Motherwell And Wishaw
NGR
NS 79953 55114
Coordinates
279953, 655114

Description

George Goldie, 1865; S aisle Bruce and Hay, 1906. Gothic church. Basilica-plan, aligned E-W; square 3-stage bell-tower with spire lean-to aisles and apse. Squared and tooled yellow sandstone with ashlar margins. Projecting eaves, coped parapet gables. Hoodmoulds to principal openings.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-bays, buttressed, gable end. Lancets to ground; large 3-light pointed arch to gablehead, geometric tracery. Set-back gabled porch to right; pointed entrance arch to centre, rolled moulding supported on engaged columns, quatrefoil set within a square moulded panel above square headed door; 2 narrow vertical vents to apex; cross finial; oversize crocketed buttress to right.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: semicircular chancel; dividing band, gabled, cusped projecting niche to upper centre, 3 lancets to each side, projecting eaves; flanked by returns to aisles, large oculi with unusual cusped star to centre.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: belltower to centre-left, blank return of porch to left, 6-bay aisle to right, alternating advanced, gabled chapels and paired lancets. Each porch with paired lancets, quatrefoil to crossgable and cross finial except chapel next to tower.

TOWER: 3-stage symmetrical belltower; large lancet arch former main entrance to centre ground, roll-moulded to reveal supported on short engaged columns, outer gable entrance filled with paired lancets and multifoil; abutted by porch to left and aisle to right. Dividing band to 2nd-stage at nave eaves height; narrow recessed blind arcade to 2nd-stage; dividing band to 3rd-stage; plate tracery 2-light pointed arch opening with timber louvring, rolled moulding, raised quoins and engaged columns to reveals, large stone brackets to top; dog-tooth cornice; projecting stone gabled lucarnes to spire, alternate bands of plain ashlar and carved fishscales, finialed.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: paired lancets to bays except advanced gabled porch to centre, paired lancets, quatrefoil to apex and cross finial; advanced wing of former boilerhouse to far right: buttresses and inset panel to gable end, battered wallhead chimney to right return.

Diamond leaded glass, lilies pattern stained glass to N chapel, modern stained glass to E end. Coped skews with gabled kneelers. Graded grey slates, decorative wrought-iron cresting to E end, lead flashing, decorative earthenware cresting to S aisle and boilerhouse roofs; moulded cast-iron rainwater goods with square hoppers.

INTERIOR: 4-bay nave, pointed arch arcading to aisles supported on columns with stiff leaf capitals; wooden gallery to W end bay; wooden panelled screen to W end; mosaic floor with cross motif to ground of tower off nave

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIER: coped squared sandstone wall to E, S and W, single octagonal gatepier to W with blind cusped arcade to upper stage, cornice and pyramidal cap. Wrought-iron finial. Wrought iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Described in the Catholic Year Book as "a handsome edifice partaking mostly of the Gothic style". Probably the church of most interest in Wishaw. Due to a succession of Dutch priests there is also good collection of Dutch religious sculpture some dating from the 17th century. The original chancel was remodelled following changes in the order of mass and subsequently the original fixed stone font can now be found smashed in the church yard. The south aisle was added by Bruce and Hay, Glasgow in 1906 in the same style. This addition moved the entrance from the, originally free-standing, bell tower to a new adjacent porch facing west to the street. The Basilica plan had become the British Catholic standard by 1860 after E W Pugin and always laid out according to a set formula: West end porch or narthex supporting a gallery for the choir and organ. Baptistry or mortuary chapel at west end of aisles. Wide aisles with widely spaced arcades to nave. Shallow chancel to east end with side altars and altars to east end of aisles. Spacious sacristy. Upgraded B to A July 2001.

References

Bibliography

J Sanders, 'Pugin and Pugin and the Gothic Revival in Scotland', Caledonia Gothica, Architectural Heritage VIII, EUP, 1997, pp.89-107. THE CATHOLIC YEARBOOK, 1866.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WISHAW, YOUNG STREET, ST IGNATIUS ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATE PIER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/12/2019 06:10