Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HYNDFORD ROAD, FORMER LADY HOZIER CONVALESCENT HOME AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB47972

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/05/2001
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
Lanark
NGR
NS 89237 43254
Coordinates
289237, 643254

Description

John L Murray, 1891. T-plan former convalescent home: 2-storey, 11-bay main elevation with projecting ends; 6-bay wings at ends; central range leads to 7-bay rear wing: 2-storey, 3-bay central section with single storey, 2-bay ends. Rubble; squared and droved quoins and margins to openings. Band course; canted windows at 1st, 5th, 7th and 11th bays; paired gableheads at centre.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 4-centred arched doorway with short flight of steps; plaque above engraved with 'Lady Hozier Convalescent Home';

single window above; flanking canted windows at ground floor; single windows above; blocked attic windows in gableheads; flanking 3-bay ranges with regular fenestration - bipartite windows at end bays at ground; single bay projections at end of elevation; canted bay at ground floor; single window above; single windows on inside returns.

W ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay wing; regular fenestration; door in 3rd bay from left; wall attached between 2nd and 3rd bays; door and 1st floor window on left return; fire escape on rear elevation.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: central range with 5-bays at left and right; door in 2nd bay from centre; regular fenestration; aisled central passage (once glazed; currently boarded) extends out at right angle attaching to rear wing. WING: 2-storey, 3-bay central range with regular

fenestration; single storey, 2-bay wings at ends; bipartite windows to left wing; 2 single windows of different size to right wing; blind returns; 2 windows on rear returns.

E ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay wing; regular fenestration; door

and stairs in 4th bay from left; windows on right return; fire escape on rear elevation.

Modern 2-pane glazing. Slate roof; straight skews; bracketed eaves to gables - more decorative to main building; 6 slender, coped stacks with cans along roof; broader stack to rear wing.

INTERIOR: simple corridor structure with bedrooms leading off; half-timbered walls; timber surrounds to doors. Cast-iron brackets to passage.

Statement of Special Interest

Lady Hozier Convalescent Home was built from 1891 on the site of redundant military barracks. The original proposal had been to convert the barracks into a convalescent home. Sir William Hozier, the Convenor of Lanarkshire, believed the suggestion, which was made by a local resident, was a very good one and committed the council to pursuing the issue.

However, at the intervention of Lady Hozier, Sir William was persuaded to purchase the barracks himself. The next task was to find a body that would undertake the management of the building following its conversion. Fortuitously, Glasgow Western Infirmary was anxiously searching for suitable accommodation for convalescing patients. The offer of the Lanark property, from Sir William to the managers of GWI, was accepted. The conversion of the barracks into convalescent accommodation was the most obvious course to take but proved too difficult. Thus a purpose built home was built at a cost of?6,000 by a local architect, James Murray. The main part of the home

housed administrative offices, the wings provided segregated female and male accommodation and the rear wing was service accommodation. The action taken by Sir William Hozier was applauded in the county and in show of the county's gratitude, the building was named after his wife. The Lady Hozier Convalescent Home was operational until the early 1980s, when it was converted into a business centre.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; Hamilton Advertiser, 15 July 1893.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HYNDFORD ROAD, FORMER LADY HOZIER CONVALESCENT HOME AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:30