Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

73-75 (ODD NOS) GRASSMARKETLB47870

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/06/1996
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25482 73364
Coordinates
325482, 673364

Description

David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, 1875, with alterations and additions by James Jerdan, 1889-90 (see Notes). 4-storey 5-bay tenement block with Scots Baronial details; former shops to ground floor and depressed-arched pend (Hunter's Close) to outer left. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings. Moulded cill courses at 1st and 3rd floors (stepped between windows at 1st). 2-leaf timber panelled door in 17th century-style surround (dated 1889 - see Notes) with relieving arch above to outer right; depressed-arched windows to former shops. Bracketed cornices to 1st floor windows; tabbed surrounds to 2nd; paired windows in crowstepped gables with truncated corbelled stack between; bipartite window to outer left; single windows above, that to 3rd in finialled gablet with small corniced stack to right.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as lodging houses for the poor, with shops to ground floor. The MacGibbon and Ross plan shows a series of little flats with narrow corridors with doors to external cast-iron balconies linked to stair towers, with external WC's at each level. Each shop had a single storey top-lit saloon to rear. James Jerdan's alterations of 1889 show the space opened up and turned into long dormitories, by the use of cast-iron beams, and the building of one tall brick stair tower with a cistern room and 'director's room' at the top. These alterations reflect the huge influx of immigrant labour (mainly from Ireland) in the later 19th century, many of whom ended up in the Grassmarket. The 17th century-style doorpiece (inscribed VITAM DIRIGAT in lintel) is by Jerdan. Restored 1998.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 4 September 1875 and 4 April 1889. Appears on 1877 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 227.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 73-75 (ODD NOS) GRASSMARKET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:52