Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25562 73432
325562, 673432


Patrick Wilson, 1861 (dated). Former church and hall, now Clinic. Gothic church with octagonal entrance tower. Squared and snecked stugged ashlar. 2-leaf timber boarded door with decorative cast-iron hinges in hoodmoulded pointed-arched surround flanked by columns with stiff leaf capitals in entrance tower with angle buttresses; hoodmoulded carved panel (see Notes) with carved labelstops; square-plan vestibule rising to octagonal tower with lancet at 1st stage, louvred lancets to each facet of upper stage and pierced parapet. Pitch-roofed nave of church behind, lit by tall windows with small leaded pane glazing. Gable end of hall to left altered at ground floor; 2 shoulder-arched windows (blocked) at 1st floor, bipartite in gable.

E ELEVATION: rubble built E wall of E transept showing: 2 2-light windows with multifoils and small window in gable.

Grey slates. Stone skews.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building, no longer in use as such. The panel above the door reads 'Erected and endowed from funds bequeathed by William Whyte Edinburgh MDCCCLXI.' The Petitioners to the Dean of Guild were the Trustees of the late William Whyte, bookseller in Edinburgh. Set back from the road between 2 advanced properties, creating a shallow forecourt. Dean of Guild drawings show 2 shops in the flanking wings, and a bakehouse and oven to the rear. The tower may make reference to that at St John's Constitution Street, Leith, by David Rhind (1843), although the Dean of Guild drawings show that it was intended to have a small spire.



Dean of Guild, 16 August 1860. Appears on 1877 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 224.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14-20 (EVEN NOS) COWGATE (FORMER COWGATEHEAD FREE CHURCH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:59