There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 01/02/2000
- Supplementary Information Updated: 29/08/2006
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24892 72866
- Coordinates: 324892, 672866
Dunn and Findlay, 1897. 4-storey and attic symmetrical tenement block with ogee-roofed corner towers and canted bays rising from 1st floor; shops to ground floor, flats above; cinema located in court to rear. Polished yellow sandstone ashlar. Cornice band between ground and 1st floor (egg and dart moulding to underside); cill courses at 1st and 2nd floors; eaves cornice. Windows in moulded surrounds, corniced at 1st floor, projecting cills at 3rd. Mansard roof; dormerheaded windows to attic (segmental pediments to single windows, piend roofs to stone-mullioned bipartites); scalloped parapets to canted bays.
CAMEO CINEMA: original interior of back-court cinema comprising lobby, foyer and auditorium with art deco and baroque detailing. Lobby with original 1914 terrazo flooring and original ticket booths to left and right of entrance, one retaining its ticket machine. Foyer with some later alterations although retaining original moulded plasterwork and cornicing embellished with gilded rococo scrolls and cherub heads. Auditorium with baroque interior, raked seating flanked by arcades of reeded ionic columns surmounted by caryatids; further ornate plasterwork and panelling.
TENEMENT: regular fenestration of mullioned bipartite and tripartite windows between canted bays. Timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight in depressed-arched moulded surround with Mannerist mask carved on key-block - in centre at ground to Home Street Elevation. Wallhead stacks to Lochrin Terrace and Lochrin Place elevations.
Entrances to corner shops in round-arched stop-chamfered surrounds with scrolled key consoles; swept to bowed 3-light windows at 1st and 2nd floors, polygonal at 3rd and attic; decorative carved detail between windows at attic level. Bank at No 26 retains 2-leaf timber panelled storm doors with arched fanlight over and glazed timber inner door in moulded timber surround. Decorative moulded pilasters remain between some shops; No 40 retains deep-set door with decorative tiles to floor and Art Nouveau scroll-work to shop front.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Double-corniced stacks (some rebuilt) with circular cans at wallheads (to side elevations) and ridges. Cast-iron gutters and down pipes with some decorative hoppers.
Statement of Special Interest
The Cameo Cinema is of particular historic interest as it is the last remaining back of court cinema in Edinburgh (a particularly Scottish form of cinema design), as well as being one of the oldest surviving cinemas in Scotland still in its original use. The auditorium retains its original Edwardian appearance, characterised by a decorative scheme that is notable for its relative completeness and design interest - of partiuclar note are the arcades to either side. The foyer also remains substantially in its original belle époque form.
This cinema was one of many built following the 1909 Kinemtographic Act and opened as the King's Cinema in 1914, one of the first in Scotland (preceded only by the Cambeltown Picture House, 1913 which survives but is heavily altered). The auditorium was formed from a mission hall behind the existing tenement and is entered by the shop front at number 38.
The temement at 46-66 Home Street, 1 and 3 Lochrin Place and 2 and 4 Lochrin Buildings (listed separately) was built as a matching pair to this one by the same architects. Designed by Dunn and Findlay for developer James Anderson. Built on the site of Lochrin House and the Lochrin Distillery. A well-designed and executed piece of urban design, which confidently addresses its important site. The flats, intended for the upper end of the rental market, provided spacious accommodation and, as the Dean of Guild drawings show, were intended from the outset to have both flushing toilets and baths.
Category changed C(S) to B August 2006.
References and notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Dean of Guild (Edinburgh) 30th July 1896. - RSA 1897 (THE RSA EXHIBITORS 1826-1990 vol1 p467). Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p266. Glendinning, MacInnes and MacKechnie A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE p305. A Grater, CAMEO CINEMA REPORT, (Unpublished, 2006). Cinema Theatre Association, www.scottishcinemas.org.uk, (2008).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.