Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

13-23 (ODD NOS) SHANDWICK PLACELB47728

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
23/03/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24627 73623
Coordinates
324627, 673623

Description

Earlier 19th century, recast 1880 by Robert Morham, with later alterations. 4-storey, 9-bay classically detailed former terrace of 3, 3-bay town houses with shops built out at ground floor. Polished granite to shop surrounds at principal floor; painted sandstone ashlar above with painted dressings. Cill course at 1st and 2nd floors; lintel course at 1st floor; band course below cornice; string course below cornice between 2nd and 3rd floors and at 3rd floor. Pilasters and dentil cornice to 1st floor windows; moulded surrounds to 1st and 2nd floor windows; bracketed balconies to central bipartites at 2nd floor; consoled and finialled segmental pediments at 3rd floor; pilasters demarcating each 3-bay section at 3rd floor.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf modern glazed door with rectangular fanlight above to pend to right of centre and deep-set modern door to outer right at principal floor; modern shop fronts at remainder of principal floor. Upper floors, bays grouped 3-3-3. Regular fenestration at 1st floor; bipartite with single windows flanking to 2nd and 3rd floors.

NE ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, 7-11 Shandwick Place (see separate list description).

SW ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, 25-37 Shandwick Place, The Maitland Hotel (see separate list description).

SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

Shop windows at principal floor; 4-pane timber sash and case windows elsewhere. Grey slate roof; coped skews. Sandstone, coped, multi-flue ridge and gablehead stacks with full compliment of tall cylindrical moulded cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: modern shop fittings at principal floor; remainder unseen 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Possibly originally a set of three earlier 19th century town houses, remodelled by the city architect, Robert Morham. The line of this development westwards was agreed to by the city in 1813 but had been planned as early as 1801, with the S side of Shandwick Place originally called Maitland Street (renamed in the late 1890s). Its form continues the urban rectilinearity of Craig's New Town (Youngson, p215). This side of Shandwick Place appears on Robert Kirkwood's New Plan of 1817, although many of the buildings have since been remodelled or rebuilt. According to Grant Shandwick Place was "once a double line of front-door houses for people of good style, [now they] are almost entirely lines of shops or other new buildings".

References

Bibliography

Kirkwood, New Plan, (1817); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 and 1877 OS MAPS; J Grant, CASSELL'S OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH, Vol 2, p209; A J Youngson, THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH, (1966), p215; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p380; M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKecknie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p566; S Harris, THE PLACE NAMES OF EDINBURGH, (1996), p561.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13-23 (ODD NOS) SHANDWICK PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:57