Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 DEWAR PLACE, SCOTTISH POWER OFFICES, FORMERLY CENTRAL ELECTRICITY LIGHTING STATION INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB47721

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/03/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24478 73281
Coordinates
324478, 673281

Description

Robert Morham, 1894 with Professor Alexander Kennedy as consulting engineer; extended 1897/8, further modern additions. 2- and 3-storey with basement and attic, 14-bay (grouped 3-6-3-2), Italian palazzo style former power station. Coursed red sandstone ashlar. Raised voussoirs and quoins to windows in 9-bays to left; keystones; cill course; dividing band course, blocking course; balustrade to 9 bays to left.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay group to outer left. Arched entrance at centre; decorative iron gates; corrugated-iron covering opening; recessed lunette window; tripartite window at 1st floor with column mullions; paired fluted pilasters. 2-light arched windows flanking at ground; aprons; column mullions; transoms; single windows aligned at 1st floor above. Balustrade broken at centre by single window aedicule; round-headed pediment. 6-bay group. Pedimented entrance porch to outer right with 2-leaf timber door; fanlight; keystone; diocletian window aligned above. 2-light window at 1st floor; columnar mullion. Remaining bays comprise small basement opening at pavement level; 2-light window at ground; columnar mullion; apron; diocletian window; 2-light window at 1st floor; columnar mullion. 3-bay group to right. Arched 2-light window at centre; roundell; flanking arched windows at ground. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors; architraves at 1st floor.

2-bay group to outer right. Blocked opening to right; single architraved window at 1st floor; single window at 2nd floor. 2-light windows at ground, 1st and 2nd floors in bay to left; architraved at 1st floor. Bartizan tower to outer right comprises 3-light mullioned window; scrolled pediment; roundell; square-blocked rusticated columns; finialed dome.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay. Vehicular entrance at outer right; 3-light window at 1st; flanking consoles; 2-pairs of 2-light windows at 2nd floor. Consoled corniced doorpiece to right of centre; single windows at 1st and 2nd floors. Regular fenestration in 2 bays to left, architraved at 1st floor; plaque dated 1898 replaces fenestration in outer-left bay at 2nd floors. Bartizan tower to outer left.

N ELEVATION: coursed sandstone ashlar to W; brick to E. 11 bays grouped 8-3. Arched entrance at left in recessed 3-bays to right; steps to 2-leaf timber and glass doors; single window at 1st floor. Arched windows at ground; single windows at 1st floor in 2 bays to right. Central pedimented aedicule; vouissored oculus within. Large corbelled arched windows at ground in advanced brick 8-bay to left; single windows at 1st floor. Replacement fenestration in 5 bays to left. Venetian entrance doorway under arch in 3rd bay from right. Flat roofed brick extension in 5th bay to outer right.

NW ELEVATION (re-entrant angle): 3-bay. Large arched window at centre; flanking architraved single windows; single windows to all bays at 2nd floor; stepped pediment; single window within.

E ELEVATION: predominantly brick; sandstone rubble to near right.

6-bay block to right comprises brick 3-bay pedimented block to outer right; 3 bay rubble block to left. Brick block comprises iron external staircase rising diagonally from left to right; steps to door at outer right and single window to left at ground. 2-leaf door to left to 1st floor; 2 Diocletian windows to right. Door to outer right at 2nd floor; 2 single windows to left. Bull's eye window in gablehead. Square central entrance at ground in rubble block; large rectangular window at 2nd floor. Flanking single windows at all floors; window to right at ground blocked; arched windows at 1st floor.

2 gabled brick machinery sheds; semi-circular windows. Harled modern addition to right. Steps to outer left.

L-plan brick block to outer left; vehicular entrance at re-entrant angle.

Much replacement to small-paned fenestration. Grey slate piended roof.

INTERIOR: some decorative plasterwork to S offices; turbine house subdivided for offices.

BOUNDARY WALLS, PIERS AND GATES: Brick wall to N; coped brick piers to vehicular entrance; iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Supply commenced from the site in 1897 with an initial installation of 400 h.p., of D. C. machines. The site is split into 3 sections; workshops to the N; offices to the S; the electricity station itself to the centre. Keith Lumsdaine notes in SCOTTISH POWER (1995) that some of the original cables are still in service. In 1963 the station was revived with the first 275/33 kV, 120 MVA, super grid station being installed in a city centre. Supplying it from Kaimes entailed the laying of about five miles of twin circuit 275kV cable, the longest length in the country at that time.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Ordnance Survey map 1908; Gifford, McWilliam, Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p369; C McKean EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p118; Keith Lumsdaine SCOTTISH POWER: CENTENARY OF ELECTRICITY (1995); Glendinning, MacInnes and MacKechnie A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996), p566.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 DEWAR PLACE, SCOTTISH POWER OFFICES, FORMERLY CENTRAL ELECTRICITY LIGHTING STATION INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2020 09:07