Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

84 -104 (EVEN NOS) ATHOLL ROAD AND UNITS 1, 2 AND 2A MILL LANE, ALBA PLACELB47512

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/12/2000
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Pitlochry
NGR
NN 93894 58208
Coordinates
293894, 758208

Description

John Leonard, Pitlochry, 1897, altered at ground. 3-storey, 9-bay (above ground), Renaissance style terrace of shops and later bank with flatted dwellings above, and single storey shop. Squared and coursed rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings; marble bank. Deep eaves course and cornice. Pedimented doors and heavily pedimented dormerheads to 2nd floor windows breaking eaves; blind balustrades; stone mullions.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ground floor shop fronts largely altered but 3 to centre retain scroll-bracketted and corniced fascia boards. Fixed display window of Post Office to centre bay with deep-set panelled timber door and fanlight to right and further similar door to left; traditional shop with in-canted centre door in bay to right of centre, panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight beyond, and 3 windows (that to left part-blocked with cash-dispensing machine) to altered bank at outer right with contrasting bands of marble and stylised carved thistles; 2 modern shops in bays to left of centre with further door to outer left. All behind modern glazed canopy with slender iron columns and decorative brackets. Flat-roofed single storey traditionally-detailed jewellers shop to outer left with 2-leaf part-glazed timber door at rounded angle and fixed display window to right, all surmounted by deep fascia and cornice. 1st floor with wide-centre tripartite window to centre bay, flanked by single windows, 2 bipartites and similar tripartite to outer bays. 2nd floor fenestration as 1st floor but with pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves, those to tripartite windows extending into dominant heavy scroll-flanked and pilastered panels, each with carved shell and keystone; windows punctuated by deep balustered course between cornice and eaves.

SE (MILL LANE) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with (with modern canopy) bank entrance to ground floor with door to left and 2 large windows to right; windows to centre and left bays of each floor above.

NW (MILL LANE) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with single storey shop projecting at ground with 2 fixed display windows to right surmounted by deep fascia and cornice. Slightly lower, corniced stone bay with further display window in penultimate bay to left and bipartite window beyond angled to outer left. Recessed 1st floor with windows in bays to centre and right, and 3 regularly disposed windows to 2nd floor.

NE (REAR, MILL LANE) ELEVATION: variety of elements to regularly-fenestrated elevation, including piended dormerheads at 2nd floor. Stepped boundary walls abutting at outer angles incorporating piended single storey outhouses (partially converted to retail units) and forming small courtyard.

SHOP INTERIORS: mostly modern, but jeweller's shop retains boarded timber walls and ceiling.

Plate glass glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full complement of polygonal cans, and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.

Statement of Special Interest

Alba Place, occupying the site of Old Mill House, was built for the Robertson family, at a cost of more than £5000. The following report appeared on Saturday March 20, 1897 "the ground flat will consist of business premises of which the principal will be the new Post Office, which occupies a position in the centre. The accommodation will consist of a public office, telegraph-room, sorting-room, waiting-room, and other necessary space. .... The upper flats of the building will consist of dwelling-houses, while cellars will be situated in the basement". The new Post Office was opened on 30th May, 1898.

References

Bibliography

Compiled by Duncan Huie VICTORIAN PITLOCHRY AND DISTRICT.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 84 -104 (EVEN NOS) ATHOLL ROAD AND UNITS 1, 2 AND 2A MILL LANE, ALBA PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 13:44