Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ATHOLL ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL AND MEMORIAL GARDENLB47510

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/12/2000
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Pitlochry
NGR
NN 94023 58073
Coordinates
294023, 758073

Description

1922, further inscribed with memorial circa 1945. 3-stage Celtic Cross War Memorial. Bull-faced Aberdeen granite. Approximately 20' high. Reducing 3-stepped base, plinth with carved segmental-headed panels each bearing WWI roll of honour, cross base bearing WWII roll of honour, and long-shafted cross.

NE (ATHOLL STREET) ELEVATION: emblem of crossed rifles, anchor and wreath at base of plinth giving way to roll of honour (each face) and 3rd stage with cross base inscribed 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE WAR' (roll of honour to other faces). Shaft with sword and entwined banner dated '1914' '1919' surmounted by cross carved with Celtic design.

MEMORIAL GARDEN: memorial garden with Empire-style cast-iron supports to timber bench seats.

Statement of Special Interest

The Perthshire Advertiser noted that "The Moulin Memorial ..... was erected in Pitlochry Institute Park as a memorial to the 81 men and 1 woman, a nurse, of Moulin Parish, and unveiled on July 23, 1922, by Mrs Butter of Pitlochry".

References

Bibliography

Perthshire Advertiser CENTENARY EDITION (August 12 1929).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ATHOLL ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL AND MEMORIAL GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 13:36