Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ATHOLL ROAD, FISHER'S HOTEL, INCLUDING GLASSHOUSES, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGSLB47509

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/12/2000
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Pitlochry
NGR
NN 93878 58165
Coordinates
293878, 758165

Description

Possibly 1883 incorporating late 1830s fabric, extended 1897 and 1987. 3-storey and attic, 6-bay hotel with pavilion roofs and crenellated stair tower; extensions to W and S, and former stable not included in this listing. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar quoins at 2nd floor, ashlar margins, those to NE raised. Round-headed dormer windows with overhanging bracketted and pendant-finialled gablets; corbelled stack. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION. recessed centre bays fronted by canopy of slender cast-iron columns with decorative braces, modern door in bay to right and bipartite windows to centre and left bays; 4 windows to each floor above and 4 dormer windows to mansard. Slightly advanced flanking outer bays each with delicate cast-iron brattishing surmounting canted tripartite window at ground and 1st floor, bipartite window to 2nd floor and dormer window to French pavilion roof. 1897 extension adjoining to outer right.

SE ELEVATION: full-height corbelled shouldered stack piercing eaves to right of centre, window to each floor in bay to left, and dormer window above. Former stable block projecting at left, and variety of elements in bays extending to outer left (beyond stable projection) including timber and stone-pedimented dormer windows, and engaged crenellated tower.

NW (GARDEN) ELEVATION: irregular elevation with bays to left obscured by extension; 2 unaltered bays to right, that to left with canted 4-light window to each floor giving way to finialled polygonal roof, that to right with bipartite window to ground and stone-pedimented dormer window above.

SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with French window in bay to leftt at ground, window to right and regular fenestration to 1st floor.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped and shouldered ashlar stacks with some cans, and stepped ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: largely altered, but retaining main dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail, and some decorative and plain plasterwork cornices. Art Deco chimneypieces and staircase.

GLASSHOUSES: range of lean-to glasshouses to NW boundary.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: coped rubble boundary walls with some inset hooped ironwork railings; segmentally-coped and finialled, square-section, stop-chamfered, ashlar gatepiers dated '18' '83', and hooped ironwork gates.

Statement of Special Interest

The oldest known photograph of Fisher's Hotel shows the original 1840s appearance with dominant 2-storey outer gables flanking recessed bays with dormerheaded windows. According to the NSA "It had often been the subject of complaint that such a village should have been so long without a suitable inn. The want is now remedied. Mr Butter of Faskally has built a good commodious house." Mr Donald Fisher, took the building over after 1854, subsequently laying out begonia beds in the style of those at Kew Gardens. Extensive alterations later took place, possibly in 1883 when new gatepiers were erected. The 1897 extension (mansard added 1987) extending the principal facade was reputedly a retaliatory move by Mr Fisher for the building of Alba Place opposite, he is recorded as saying "If you won't let me see Ben-y-Vrackie, then I won't let you see my gardens". Mr Fisher died in 1908, and in 1910 the hotel was offered for sale as part of 'The Perthshire Estates of Archibald Edward Butter of Faskally', it was at that time "standing in beautifully laid-out Gardens .... Let on lease to a Limited Company and .... under excellent management". The accommodation included a "Large Dining Room 61' x 33', with an excellent Floor for Dancing, and 85 comfortable Sitting and Bed Rooms". The annual rent, together with a stretch of salmon fishing on the Tummel, was ?1,012. The hotel was taken over as officer's rest facilities during both World Wars, owned by Major Butter's Consortium by the 1960s, and subsequently sold to British Trust Hotels in 1987 at which time 51 bedrooms were added.

References

Bibliography

NSA (1839), p660. Colin Liddell PITLOCHRY, HERITAGE OF A HIGHLAND DISTRICT (1993), p88. Information courtesy of hotel manager. Dean of Guild Refs 27 and 49. Perthshire Advertiser CENTENARY EDITION, August 12 (1929).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ATHOLL ROAD, FISHER'S HOTEL, INCLUDING GLASSHOUSES, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 13:57