Founded on this site in 1858 by George Smith.
Offices: 2 storey, dry dash finish, double gabled N elevation. First section to left, c1880, extended in c1924. 1880 block has pair narrow windows on each floor, 1924 block has round-arched doorway with moulded and keystoned architrave to left, bipartite to right, 3 irregularly placed sash and case windows at first. All windows bar one have 4-pane cash and case. Adjoining production buildings to S and W much altered and not listed. Interior largely panelled in pitch pine, some matchboarding now painted.
Warehouses: 2 ranges flagstone coursed rubble with dry-rendered fronts (originally 3, centre block demolished) probably 1858-c1880.
S range: consists of 2 low blocks (right-hand one altered from 2 to one gabled), then 4 glazed upper level with distinctive arched centre window flanked by bull's eye windows, all cast-iron framed. Earliest has rounded gable, other 3 (dated 1880) to N identical. 4-bay side elevation with multipane iron-framed windows. Roofs corrugated iron, part replaced by asbestos. N range similar to 1880 range, and probably 1880s, but 2 storey, 4 bay. Access to first floor, S end, by ramp leading to wooden platforms supported on cast-iron and timber columns. Rails laid on ramp for moving barrels. 5 bay side elevation.
Visitor Centre: probably built as malt barn c1870. 2-storey 5-bay coursed flagstone rubble, with irregularly placed buttresses between bays. Timber gables, corrugated-iron roof. Adapted as visitor centre c1980, when 2 doors and forestair built at rear, windows altered, and ventilators inserted.