Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FEARN ROYAL NAVAL AIR STATION (FORMER) CONTROL TOWERLB47342

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/08/2000
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Fearn
NGR
NH 84794 76158
Coordinates
284794, 876158

Description

Circa 1940 (opened 1941). 3-storey with roof-top air watch office ('glasshouse'); square-plan, part-balconied, disused Second World War control tower of standard Royal Naval Air Station design, flat-roofed with ventilation tower at rear. Brick and reinforced concrete. Air watch office with window openings to angles and all elevations, including small annex addition to rear. Wind sock post.

W (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3 principal storeys divided by balconies at 1st and 2nd floors,

returned and terminated to N and S elevations. 6 window openings at ground; 2nd and 3rd floors with central window opening flanked by door openings, flanked in turn by window openings to outer left and right.

N ELEVATION: projecting single storey entrance block centred at ground; pair of window openings to right at ground; pairs of window openings flanking centre at 1st and 2nd floors.

S ELEVATION: projecting single storey entrance block centred at ground, with small window openings above, and flanking; 3 irregularly-arranged window openings at 1st and 2nd floors.

E ELEVATION: pair of vent openings centred at ground, flanked by pairs of irregularly-arranged window openings; 4 irregularly-arranged window openings at 1st floor; 3 irregularly-arranged window openings at 2nd floor.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

The control tower is one of the most significant surviving representatives of the former Fearn Royal Naval Air Station (originally called Clays of Allen) opened in 1941. Most Royal Naval Air Station control towers followed standard design patterns, and were constructed by Royal Marine Engineers. The three-storey control tower was the most commonly built of its type, examples of which can still be found at various locations in Great Britain, including Burscough, Hinstock and Inskip. Although Fearn only has three runways instead of the usual four of Navy airfields, the control tower was rebuilt to this standard design. The walls were constructed of solid brick, cavity brick, and reinforced concrete, with the air watch office usually being made of reinforced concrete. Out of the airfields of Easter Ross, interesting both for their concentration in the area and their inter-relations during the Second World War, Fearn remains the best preserved where the lay-out of the airfield is still clear. The nearby Tain airfield, for which Fearn was built as a satellite, was not used by the Royal Air Force extensively, and thus Fearn was transferred to the Royal Navy, and commissioned as HMS Owl on July 15th 1942. During the Second World War, Fearn was in constant use, originally by the 825 Squadron, then as a torpedo training unit for Barracuda squadrons, as well as being used by Canadian and Dutch squadrons. Bomber Command had wanted to utilise Fearn for future Norwegian operations, but were refused permission by the Navy. After being an SLG for Dalcross in the early 1950s, Fearn was sold for agricultural purposes, and was later used for motor racing. The Cromarty Firth Development Company bought Fearn in 1974, and planned to develop it as the Cromarty Firth Airport, with Loganair hoping to link it with other Scottish airports, and exploit its proximity to the Nigg Bay oil rigs. A variety of Fearn Airfield and nearby Loans of Tulloch camp buildings still stand, in varying conditions of dereliction. They are mostly corrugated-iron built, or brick and cement built, some with asbestos roofs.

They include Nissan huts, with some surviving concrete shelving and work benches; Mainhill type hangars; accommodation blocks or mess halls, with water tank towers and roof vents.

References

Bibliography

D J Smith, ACTION STATIONS 7: MILITARY AIRFIELDS OF SCOTLAND, THE NORTH EAST AND NORTHERN IRELAND (1983), pp104, 105; J Hughes, A STEEP TURN TO THE STARS, A HISTORY OF AVIATION IN THE MORAY FIRTH (1991), pp20-22; G Buchan Innes, BRITISH AIRFIELD BUILDINGS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR (1995), p13; I Brown, D Burridge, D Clarke, J Guy, J Helis, B Lowry, N Ruckley, R Thomas, 20TH CENTURY DEFENCES IN BRITAIN (1995), pp118-24; P Francis, BRITISH MILITARY AIRFIELD ARCHITECTURE (1996), pp133, 134; RCAHMS recording of Fearn Airfield with photographic survey (1997).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FEARN ROYAL NAVAL AIR STATION (FORMER) CONTROL TOWER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:26