There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 16/08/2000
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 25783 73221
- Coordinates: 325783, 673221
Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, 1899-1900. 2-storey, 4-bay Scots Renaissance church and offices sited to the centre of a street run. Smooth red sandstone ashlar, painted to ground. Bays divided by pilasters, channelled at ground, fluted Ionic pilasters at 1st floor. Continuous cornices at ground floor and eaves. Recessed 2-leaf timber panelled door with leaded glass in decorative fanlight in key-blocked round-arched surround with broken pediment containing cartouche to outer left; decorative wrought-iron gates. 3-light mullioned and transomed window in 2nd bay from left. 2 bay shop to right. 4 tall round-arched windows with geometric tracery and clear leaded glass at 1st floor. Blind oculus in central shaped wallhead gable (strapwork decoration effaced), flanked by parapet. Pitched roof with gablet roof behind pediment and two gables to rear forming F-plan.
Small-pane leaded glazing to upper lights of shop windows. Grey slates. End stacks.
INTERIOR (seen 2000): leaded lights to vestibule screen. Offices and former shops to ground and basement. Fine staircase with green glazed Art Nouveau dado tiling, iron balusters and timber handrail. Church at 1st floor: L-plan galleries; vaulted roof with Tudor-arched ribs; modillioned cornice; decorative corbels to ribs; tiered galleries with bracketed timber front; 2 Tudor arches and mutual column to upper side aisle; later glazed screen to lower side aisle; boarded dado. Pilastered pulpit with arched and corniced wall panel behind. Timber pews. Boxed immersion pool. Pipe organ to main gallery (Gray and Davidson, 1900).
Statement of Special Interest
Place of worship still in use. A well-detailed late 19th century Renaissance style church with a prominent red sandstone elevation to the centre of the urban street run, and containing a contemporary and intact interior decoration scheme.
The church was originally built for the Evangelical Union to include a church, 2 shops, classroom, and lunch room and ladies room in the basement. There was previously a Baptist Chapel on this site from the earlier 19th century. Details of pilasters and tracery are taken from those at the Tron Church. Apart from the impressive staircase, the internal fittings are restrained and the glazing clear, in order to concentrate attention on the centrally-placed pulpit. Although the exterior strapwork of the pediment has been effaced, the building remains largely complete inside (as of 2000). The building was acquired by the Adventist church in August 1942.
The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town.
(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)
Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of Guild Collection, (February 1899). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p169. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 2011).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.