Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MAIN STREET, NEWTON ON AYR CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB47209

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/03/1999
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 33903 22415
Coordinates
233903, 622415

Description

William Clarke, 1862. 3-bay, near rectangular-plan Gothic church with octagonal tower to outer right. Squared sandstone. Base course; string course; band course; blocking course; buttresses divide bays; arched colonnette recesses within.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced central gabled entrance bay; central gabled entrance porch; timber door; tracery over; blind colonnade flanking; traceried rose window above; flanking buttresses rise to form pinnacles. Traceried window to recessed bay to left. Single window to recessed bay to right. 3-stage octagonal tower to outer right; arched colonnette recesses at 1st stage; blind central bay at 2nd stage; leaded arched openings at 3rd stage.

Predominantly rectangular and arched windows (some sash and case windows to rear); coloured margins; some leaded work; modern exterior windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews.

INTERIOR: central organ placed behind pulpit (see notes); arched gallery arcade; ribbed ceiling; timber pews, gallery and furnishings; rose tracery window to entrance elevation; small rose window above organ.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped boundary wall encloses site.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built as Free Church. Formerly called Newton on Ayr New Church, the union of congregations with the demolished Newton on Ayr Old Church took place in 1962. Modern church hall to NW of site, dated 1971. Church organ rebuilt and completed 1967, using parts of organs from both Newton Churches by Hillsdon of Glasgow. Notable for its octagonal tower and blind recess and arcade detailing.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1896 (evident); AYR ADVERTISER 8.5.1862 (information courtesy of Robert Close); John Strawhorn THE HISTORY OF AYR (1989), pp191, 218; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p30.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, NEWTON ON AYR CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/07/2022 12:45