Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
NS 70458 58648
270458, 658648


Circa 1906 with later alterations and additions to side and rear. Originally L-plan gabled and buttressed hall with pointed-arched bold flowing loop details to windows and timber cupola; short arm set back to right (S). Stugged and snecked red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; cill course; ashlar band course; raised and stepped, coped title block with carved "RUSSELL MEMORIAL HALL" forming pediment base; empty 2-centred arched niche with hood mould to gablehead; stepped block to gable skews at apex. Chamfered surrounds to windows; pointed-arched hood-moulds; long and short quoins at rear.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single bay with lean-to addition to right (S). Pointed-arched loop traceried window to centre, flanked by buttresses, set back from angles. Window set to left of centre in lean-to.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: irregular 10-bay, grouped 6-2-2. 6-bay lean-to addition to re-entrant angle of L: modern door in bay to right; 5 windows, regularly disposed in remaining bays to left. Advanced, 2-bay short arm of L: pointed-arched loop traceried window in each bay, flanked and divided by 3 aproned buttresses; blank gablehead, slightly recessed, as at front, above. 2-bay addition, with gabled bay offset to right to outer right (E end): timber panelled door in chamfered and quoined surround in bay to left; bipartite window beneath gable in bay to right.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay with gabled addition to outer left (E end). 3-light point-arched window with segmental-arched moulded surround in each bay; aproned buttress between each bay. 2 blocked openings, evenly disposed to gabled addition.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-sided projection with polygonal roof to right of centre; bipartites to each side. Brick pitch-roof addition, with further lean-to addition set to left of centre; tall rendered stack to outer left.

Various glazing patterns to include some leaded stained glass to S; aluminium casements to additions. Grey slate roof; modern roofing material to additions; coped skews; cast-iron rainwater goods with broad crenellated hoppers.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: replaced square-plan sandstone piers with chamfered square caps; low stugged sandstone walls with ridged ashlar cope; simple cast-iron railings with regularly disposed trefoil motifs.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1891 Archibald Russell bought the site on which the former schoolhouse stood in order to prevent the erection of tenement buildings which would have overlooked the church and churchyard. In 1904 the site was gifted to Bothwell Parish Church and upon his death in 1906, Russell's widow had the present hall erected in his memory, also providing an annual sum for its upkeep, forever preventing obtrusive development in the proximity of the village focal point, the church. The stylish cupola and crisp Art Nouveau stonework at the windows give it particular architectural interest.



Appears on 2nd Edition OS Map; WALKS AROUND BOTHWELL (1974), p5; D Burns, A Reid and I Walker (eds), HAMILTON DISTRICT, AS HISTORY (1995), p97; NMRS Photographic Records, LA/1204 (1975), LA/1203 (1975).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOTHWELL, MAIN STREET, RUSSELL MEMORIAL HALL, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:29