Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NEWTONGRANGE, MAIN STREET, THE DEAN TAVERNLB46971

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/03/2000
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Newbattle
NGR
NT 33207 64486
Coordinates
333207, 664486

Description

A Murray Hardie, 1910. Public house set back from the Main Street. Gabled wing to right; M-gable wing at right angles to left; flat-roofed addition to front and left. Harled above red brick base; red sandstone dressings; mock timbered gable to front.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2-storey gable section to far right; off-centre replacement door with fanlight; flanking windows with connecting red sandstone tabs. Mock timber studding at 1st floor; 2 mullioned bipartite windows; clock in apex. Later brick, harled and glazed addition to left forms porch to entrance and obscures 4 windows behind. Red Gothic lettering above: 'The Dean Tavern'.

S ELEVATION: advanced flat-roofed bar extends along S elevation; brick base to central section; harled elsewhere; single windows with red sandstone margins and connecting tabs; entrance door to bar. M-gable to main building; Venetian window in each gable apex.

W ELEVATION: partially seen; harled; 2 windows at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: not seen, 1999.

Timber sash and case windows; 6-pane upper lights (some replaced by 1 light); single lower light. Slate roof; rooflights; decorative clay ridge tiles; plain timber bargeboards. Raised ridge air vents. Harled chimney to N elevation.

INTERIOR: recently furnished private bar to S. Old temperance bar at 2nd storey to right, not seen, 1999. Main bar open to roof; 3 ? central arches; keystones; corniced pillars with corbels support roof braces. Timber clad horseshoe bar to S wall. Fixed bench seating to W and N walls. Moulded, corniced and bracketed Venetian window to each S gable apex. Decorative screens to W rooflights; plain rooflights to E. Iron braced roof construction; king posts; angle struts; painted blue with gold edging and gold rivets.

Statement of Special Interest

The original Dean Tavern was converted from 3 terraced houses and opened 20th October 1899. This building was demolished once the new premises behind had been completed in 1910. The Dean Tavern is a successful example of the Gothenburg system which began in Sweden in the 1850's to regulate drinking and to feed the profits back into the local community. Newtongrange continues to benefit from The Dean. Some of the beneficiaries include the bowling green, park, Newtongrange Gala day and bands.

References

Bibliography

A Anderson, THE DEAN TAVERN 1986; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p86.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWTONGRANGE, MAIN STREET, THE DEAN TAVERN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2019 09:50