Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

12 CHAPEL STREETLB46889

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
10/03/2000
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 9024 87595
Coordinates
309024, 687595

Description

Late 18th_ early 19th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey and attic; 3-bay; originally rectangular-plan; detached; former manse. Symmetrical principal (S) elevation with bow-fronted dormers; scrolled skewputts. Coursed droved sandstone to principal elevation; rendered elsewhere; droved ashlar dressings. Eaves band with moulded cornice to principal elevation. Architraved ground and 1st floor openings to principal elevation; vertical margins at arrises. Coped skews.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to central entrance; late 20th century part-glazed timber door with rectangular fanlight. Flanking windows to each floor and one above.

N ELEVATION: piended-roofed extension projects to left; late 20th century openings to ground and 1st floor. Blank wall set back to right to original block.

W ELEVATION: blank.

N ELEVATION: single-storey extension projects to centre; blank wall set back to original block.

Late 20th century replacement UPVC windows throughout. Grey slate roof. Slightly lowered rendered stacks to either side (E and W) of original block; cans missing.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).

Statement of Special Interest

B group with adjacent Gillespie Memorial Church. It appears to have been built shortly after 1794 as the manse for the Relief Church, which preceded the Gillespie Memorial Church on this site. A Relief meeting house is described in 'The Statistical Account' as having been built in 1775 but it does not appear to have at that time been provided with a manse, as the minister was allocated extra money to rent one. Presumably this is the same church referred to in the 'New Statistical Account' as being sited on North Chapel Street and provided with a house and garden. It was still in use as a manse for some time after the present Gillespie Memorial Church was built (1848-49). The history of this church is especially significant, its congregation having been the first Relief congregation in Scotland, having been formed following the deposition of the Rev Thomas Gillespie (after whom the present church is named), minister of Carnock, in 1752. The former manse is currently (1998) in use as offices. See separate list description for Gillespie Memorial Church.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, VOL 13 (1794) p445; appears adjacent to Relief Church on J Wood's, PLAN OF THE TOWN OF DUNFERMLINE (1823); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, VOL IX (1845) pp898-99; shown as 'Manse' On 1856 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 5ft to 1 Mile, Dunfermline Sheet 4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12 CHAPEL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 18:57